Are you proud of yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you proud of yourself?

A lot of the members here who know me well know my mother passed away due to her COPD from smoking. I have held a lot of myself back for quite some time, a lot of it stemming from my relationship with my mother. It wasn't pretty, and her death was very sudden. I had no chance to right my 'wrongs', as it were.

A week back I finally forced myself to go to Indiana and see her. All I can say is that when I decided I would go, it was like a mountain was lifted off of me. Seeing her headstone mounted and her where she wanted to be in the family plot was a tremendous emotional release. I was able to let go of a lot of troubling things and hopefully, I can continue to sort out some things in my life I've certainly neglected. I do feel good about myself now, so it's time to act on it.

I've been wanting to post a thread like this for some time. How do you feel you measure up to your expectations? Are there things you need to let go of in order to better yourself?
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

There's not enough space on this message board to post all of my shit.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

No.

I have no use for most of my relatives. People are people blood or not, once I am done with you I am done. Do not beat yourself up over it alot of people are this way.

My no was in answer to your last question. Yes is my answer to your first.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

In my younger days, I would cut ties over nonsense and just keep everything bottled up, which usually ended up with me pissed off all of the time and keeping to myself. I had a pretty shitty up bringing and placed blame where it shouldn't have been placed. Now that I am a little bit older, I decided that I would let alot of the small things slide and try to be there for family and friends when needed. Life is too short and you just never know. I am one of the most mellow people you will ever meet compared to what I used to be.

So to answer you, yes I am proud that I was able to control my anger and not let it get the best of me. I still have a shit ton of issues to work out, but I take it a day at a time.
        2019 ram 4x4.....no toys currently

Comment

i know i'm nothing to be proud of, but as long as Jr. doesnt I feel i am doing alright.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

As I've gotten older, I tend to be a little more deliberate about what I do/say to people I care about. They all know how I feel about them at any time. You never know when you'll draw your last breath, and I don't want anyone left wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by R1psycho View Post
              In my younger days, I would cut ties over nonsense and just keep everything bottled up, which usually ended up with me pissed off all of the time and keeping to myself. I had a pretty shitty up bringing and placed blame where it shouldn't have been placed. Now that I am a little bit older, I decided that I would let alot of the small things slide and try to be there for family and friends when needed. Life is too short and you just never know. I am one of the most mellow people you will ever meet compared to what I used to be.

So to answer you, yes I am proud that I was able to control my anger and not let it get the best of me. I still have a shit ton of issues to work out, but I take it a day at a time.
              That sounds a lot like me. My mother smoked until the day she died, and I hated myself for not being able to help her. Essentially, it's taken about 2 1/2 years to wash away that stigma... the feeling that I was a failure the ONE time I needed to shine. It wasn't my fault, I knew it was her choice: it's just now that I finally allowed myself to accept that I can't always fix everything for everyone. Trying to hide it all was a total failure.
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              dont downshift!!

Comment

We all carry around a lot of baggage, some more than others. I try to forgive and forget, just move on so to speak. Life is to short, we all have regrets!

Comment

Originally posted by Zfan View Post
                  We all carry around a lot of baggage, some more than others. I try to forgive and forget, just move on so to speak. Life is to short, we all have regrets!
                  This. I do more than my fair share of forgiving-and-forgetting. There's not a whole lot that someone can do to me to make me try to completely cut ties with them. I can truthfully say there are fewer people than the number of fingers on one hand that I truly hate, and there's really only one person that I would never care to speak with ever again, even if it meant I would not want for anything again for the rest of my life.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my mother's side of the family (not including her) would be happier and more proud of me if I had gone to college, wasn't living with my girlfriend instead of being married, and they'd be really disappointed in me if they knew I wasn't a Christian. That said, they love me and don't outwardly judge me. They are proud of who I've become. And that's nice, but I really don't concern myself with what they think, anyway. I am happy and proud of myself. I don't carry around regret, and I try to live day by day and focus on good things around me. Any other way will eat you up, I believe.

Comment

You can love people in your life but still not like them . You also can't change people or make then do or act how you want even when what you want is the best thing for them . None of the choices other people make are our fault but they affect our lives just like our choices affect there's . You have to decied if the problems your family causes you are worth dealing with the negative affects . Does your love and any positives you gain out weigh the bad and can you live with it . Zfan is dead on . We all have it and the test of life is learning to carry it while trying to live the best life you can . Just remember people only have the power to affect your life if you give it to them . Playing it safe will save you pain but you also will miss out on the great feelings those relationships can give when things are right . Its a risk we all take .
                      Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Yes, I'm proud of myself. I feel like I've worked hard to get where I'm at today. I was the first one on my mom's side of the family to graduate high school, let alone college. I can honestly say that I love my job, I love my career choice, and I love my life. Any and everything I've ever had I've worked for. Of course there are some things that I am not proud of that I've done in my past, but I don't dwell on them. I try to learn from them and not make the same mistakes twice.

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                          You can love people in your life but still not like them . You also can't change people or make then do or act how you want even when what you want is the best thing for them . None of the choices other people make are our fault but they affect our lives just like our choices affect there's . You have to decied if the problems your family causes you are worth dealing with the negative affects . Does your love and any positives you gain out weigh the bad and can you live with it . Zfan is dead on . We all have it and the test of life is learning to carry it while trying to live the best life you can . Just remember people only have the power to affect your life if you give it to them . Playing it safe will save you pain but you also will miss out on the great feelings those relationships can give when things are right . Its a risk we all take.
                          That right there is the point in life I am at, and the "safe play" extended into a lot of my relationships well before and then after my mom passed... you couldn't have phrased it any better!
                          dont downshift!!

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            That right there is the point in life I am at, and the "safe play" extended into a lot of my relationships well before and then after my mom passed... you couldn't have phrased it any better!
                            That is something my Dad told me a long time ago when I was pushing everyone in my life away to be safe emotionaly . I lost the 3 people in my life I loved the most and just did not want anymore pain . Time has let me open up again and now I have a wife and son that have filled the whole . I still miss them everyday but now I understand what I would have missed out on if I would have never opened myself up . Its all highs and lows but these are the things that give us depth and worth as a person . I am proud of who I am and I am getting better every day .
                            Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by dumpycapri85 View Post
                              That is something my Dad told me a long time ago when I was pushing everyone in my life away to be safe emotionaly . I lost the 3 people in my life I loved the most and just did not want anymore pain . Time has let me open up again and now I have a wife and son that have filled the whole . I still miss them everyday but now I understand what I would have missed out on if I would have never opened myself up . Its all highs and lows but these are the things that give us depth and worth as a person . I am proud of who I am and I am getting better every day .
                              LOL get out of my head, Charles!
                              dont downshift!!

Comment

Working...
                              X