want to learn to play the guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    You will get bored of bass soon. Stick out the guitar...you probably just are confusing lack of skill with a big finger excuse. If You insist however, many acoustics will have wider necks.
    I agree if we're talking four string bass, but a six string is much less likely to induce boredom. I have no idea how much more difficult it would be to learn a six string bass as a beginner, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
      I don't disagee with this. I just think in order to stay with it you should Learn a little by yourself and start to enjoy it before taking lessons. Even still, I am sure he is not looking to be the best guitar player out there. He just wants to mess around a bit. I absolutely hated every guitar lesson and teacher that I went to. It made guitar like homework. I might not be as good as I could be, but I have stuck with it and now I can play pretty much any song that I set my mind to. I just think sticking with it is the first battle.
      Yeah. Teach yourself bad playing habits instead of learning the right way from the get-go.
      Last edited by jdgregory84; 07-30-2011, 05:17 PM.
      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
        I agree if we're talking four string bass, but a six string is much less likely to induce boredom. I have no idea how much more difficult it would be to learn a six string bass as a beginner, though.
        I never cared much for six string basses. I really can't imagine it being any harder than a standard guitar though so you may be on to something. Just from experience, I started with bass and it got bored real quick. I only enjoyed playing with friends...never solo. Even the trumpet was much more entertaining. Of all the instruments I've played, guitar was the one that really just takes time to teach your hands how to hit the chords properly. That's why I advocate sticking it out!

Comment

I went ahead and bought an Ibanez four string bass and a 65w Peavey bass amp today, and have to say just playing around on it was very enjoyable, I am actually able to fret it without issue and have just accepted that there is no way that I'll be able to fret a regular electric unless I find one with a much wider neck. I may get bored with the bass, but I have always liked basses, and find myself listening to the bass lines in songs and looking at the bassists in videos.

Thanks for all the advice.

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
            I went ahead and bought an Ibanez four string bass and a 65w Peavey bass amp today, and have to say just playing around on it was very enjoyable, I am actually able to fret it without issue and have just accepted that there is no way that I'll be able to fret a regular electric unless I find one with a much wider neck. I may get bored with the bass, but I have always liked basses, and find myself listening to the bass lines in songs and looking at the bassists in videos.

Stevo
            That last part sounded pretty gay.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
              That last part sounded pretty gay.
              Sean Yseult (when White Zombie was still together) and Paz Lenchantin (A Perfect Circle) come to mind as nice eye candy bassists.

Stevo
              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                I never cared much for six string basses. I really can't imagine it being any harder than a standard guitar though so you may be on to something. Just from experience, I started with bass and it got bored real quick. I only enjoyed playing with friends...never solo. Even the trumpet was much more entertaining. Of all the instruments I've played, guitar was the one that really just takes time to teach your hands how to hit the chords properly. That's why I advocate sticking it out!
                Bass is something that's pretty easy to be mediocre at, but being really good involves more feel and soul than just about any other instrument. If you get bored playing the bass then you're not really pushing yourself.

Comment

Stevo
                  I started out wanting to play the guitar, then I too quickly realized that my hamfists weren't going to work out and switched to bass, Been playing for 10 years just learning songs that I like the sound of. Still love playing it. I'll play for a couple hours every week or so, just when I get the urge. Low and slow, with the groove is where the heart and soul of the music is, IMO. You'd be surprised just how empty a song is if you take the bass out of it.

Comment

Sean Yseult (when White Zombie was still together) and Paz Lenchantin (A Perfect Circle) come to mind as nice eye candy bassists.

Stevo
                    I wouldn't say they're eye candy but I actually thought about those two before I posted. Good luck with slappin' the bass. It's a very underappreciated instrument. I still suggest getting an instructor at least for a few months to get the basics down. Learning proper technique is half the battle.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                      I wouldn't say they're eye candy but I actually thought about those two before I posted. Good luck with slappin' the bass. It's a very underappreciated instrument. I still suggest getting an instructor at least for a few months to get the basics down. Learning proper technique is half the battle.
                      Proper technique development is beneficial, as is learning theory from someone who knows what they're talking about, but I think an often overlooked aspect is simply that everyone has their own style and you get to pick up small things that they do when you learn from them/play from them. That's something you just don't get when you're reading tabs and simply listening to the music to pick it up. Don't be afraid to pick up a new instructor after a while either, it'll only give you more perspective and little techniques to pick up to develop your own unique sound.

Comment

Stevo
                        I'd still try to get in touch with Stephen Bailey at Mundt or Robert Browning across the street from Mundt. Stephen can get you in touch with some great bassists to learn from.

Comment

If you do take lessons, steer clear of pollard sound or whatever its called. Dunno if he's still in business but dude would smoke about half a pack during every lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
                            I'd still try to get in touch with Stephen Bailey at Mundt or Robert Browning across the street from Mundt. Stephen can get you in touch with some great bassists to learn from.
                            I'll do this, we went to Mundt yesterday first, but didn't know they were closed on Saturdays.

Stevo

Comment

How is it going Stevo?

I've been looking at guitars quite a bit lately, trying to trim down choices. I had a squire fender when I was 18, but didn't put enough effort into learning it. Want to pick it back up again.

I'm trying to decide if I should get something cheap, or get something NICE, so that I have some money invested and don't get frustrated and give up easy.

Why do some of you guys say the bass is boring? Just not as much to do with it??

Comment

Get something good, it will hold it's value if you resell, and you will be more inclined to play it. When you have a cheap guitar, it sounds cheap, and feels cheap. That's not saying there aren't good cheap guitars out there. Bass has it's place, but for me, it's just too boring. As for the people who think they are too "fat fingered" to play guitar, look at BB King, or even this guy, worth checking out if you have never heard of him.

Slow moving projects
                                1964 C10 350/700r4
                                1992 LX 5.0

Comment

Working...
                                X