want to learn to play the guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevo View Post
    I picked up a Fender Squier Bullet Strat plus a 28w amp off craigslist for $50. I figure that is cheap and good enough to start out.

Something I figured out though, with my big-ass hands and sausage fingers this is going to be a challenge.

Stevo
    Then be glad you started with an electric. Once your fingers are used to the movement and proper finger placement, it will be easier to move to the acoustic. The acoustics require a firmer placement on the fret board and are more susceptible to the "tings" or other flaws in the note sound. Tablature is the way to go. Before long you'll find yourself moving on to the basic chords then so on.

Good luck and stick with it
    <<<< going to break mine out now for shits and giggles
    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
    sigpic

Comment

Definitely start with an electric, they are easier to play. Learn some very simple open cords. Then go to ultimate-guitar.com and type in any of your favorite songs that sound "simple" do not put in a Metallica song or anything. work through sore fingers and spend hours upon hours learning the simplest songs. if you cant figure out how to position your fingers watch youtube videos of people covering the song to get an idea. This will get your fingers and muscles some familiarity. As others have stated there are a lot of good youtube tutorials. first song I learned to play was Dammit from blink, ha ha.

Comment

In addition to most of what has been said already, one of the best ways to build dexterity in your fingers is to learn and practice changing chords often. Do it as an exercise as often as you can so that your hand learns the positions, and when it comes time to actually playing songs, you aren't pausing to try and figure out where your fingers are and where they need to be. It becomes automatic.

Another thing that I used to do, that I don't see very often is keep my right pinky anchored to the pick guard on the guitar just below the strings like in the picture below. It helped me to keep my hand steady and know where my fingers or pick was in relation to the strings without having to look. It also makes it easier to control palm muting.

Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Someone posted a site that let you read the tabs while you play along, and actually played the riffs and chrous so you could hear them as you play. Anyone know where that thread went or maybe if it was back in Canada? I did a search a while back but couldn't find anything on it.
          Wanna see my care face???

Comment

Originally posted by Blakeski View Post
            Someone posted a site that let you read the tabs while you play along, and actually played the riffs and chrous so you could hear them as you play. Anyone know where that thread went or maybe if it was back in Canada? I did a search a while back but couldn't find anything on it.
            That was me.

Guitar, bass and drum tabs & chords with free online tab player. Play along with original audio. Huge selection of over a million tabs. No abusive ads. One accurate tab per song
            "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
              If you and your son want to start out together, go up to Mundt and talk to Phil Knox. I'm not sure if he does lessons, but he can point you in the right direction.
              he does do lessons, i was taking some him before i got slammed with work. but FYI, if you go to Mundt to talk to him, you will need to ask for Steven LOL i dont know if they know his alter ego name haha

Comment

Originally posted by runin90lx View Post
                he does do lessons, i was taking some him before i got slammed with work. but FYI, if you go to Mundt to talk to him, you will need to ask for Steven LOL i dont know if they know his alter ego name haha
                Bahahahahahahah! I've gotten so used to seeing his alter ego in print that's what I typed. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                  That was me.

www.songsterr.com
                  Thank you sir!
                  Wanna see my care face???

Comment

My advice would be to NOT get an instructor. I believe that guitar teachers turn people off of guitar because they take the fun out of it. Everbody says you have to do scales first etc, and thats why alot of people never follow through with it. Have fun messing around at first, use tabs to figure out some chords, start playing simple rock songs. I got a guitar at age 7. I first learned the E, A , D chords and got pretty good at em, Starting playing " Back in Black" and similar, Then moved up to easier metallica stuff and the rest is history. The key to staying with it is to enjoy it. The minute it becomes a chore is the minute it sits in the corner for the rest of its life.
                    2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                      My advice would be to NOT get an instructor. I believe that guitar teachers turn people off of guitar because they take the fun out of it. Everbody says you have to do scales first etc, and thats why alot of people never follow through with it. Have fun messing around at first, use tabs to figure out some chords, start playing simple rock songs. I got a guitar at age 7. I first learned the E, A , D chords and got pretty good at em, Starting playing " Back in Black" and similar, Then moved up to easier metallica stuff and the rest is history. The key to staying with it is to enjoy it. The minute it becomes a chore is the minute it sits in the corner for the rest of its life.
                      My advice would be to not follow this advice. There's no replacement for a solid understanding of music theory, and scales and chord theory is what builds that. If you just want to pick up a guitar and play chords then you can do that, but if you actually want to learn then there's no substitute for learning from someone with more knowledge than you. And there's absolutely no shame in having an instructor; wearing your self-teaching as a badge of honor is little more than proudly projecting that you're not nearly as good as you could be.

Comment

after practicing for a few days, it is painfully obvious that I will not be able to play a regular necked electric guitar due to my bear claw hands with a one-inch width fingers. My friend recommended me to find a cheap bass and see if I can fit a better grip, as the only other choice would be to buy some custom necked guitar.

I guess I understand why most players are skinny little twigs.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                          My advice would be to not follow this advice. There's no replacement for a solid understanding of music theory, and scales and chord theory is what builds that. If you just want to pick up a guitar and play chords then you can do that, but if you actually want to learn then there's no substitute for learning from someone with more knowledge than you. And there's absolutely no shame in having an instructor; wearing your self-teaching as a badge of honor is little more than proudly projecting that you're not nearly as good as you could be.
                          I don't disagee with this. I just think in order to stay with it you should Learn a little by yourself and start to enjoy it before taking lessons. Even still, I am sure he is not looking to be the best guitar player out there. He just wants to mess around a bit. I absolutely hated every guitar lesson and teacher that I went to. It made guitar like homework. I might not be as good as I could be, but I have stuck with it and now I can play pretty much any song that I set my mind to. I just think sticking with it is the first battle.
                          2012 GT500

Comment

after practicing for a few days, it is painfully obvious that I will not be able to play a regular necked electric guitar due to my bear claw hands with a one-inch width fingers. My friend recommended me to find a cheap bass and see if I can fit a better grip, as the only other choice would be to buy some custom necked guitar.

Stevo
                            stick with the guitar. Play the bass only if you plan on joining a band. i have been playing Guitar longer than most of you have been alive.lol! It's a more rewarding instrument than a bass.
                            Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
                            90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

You will get bored of bass soon. Stick out the guitar...you probably just are confusing lack of skill with a big finger excuse. If You insist however, many acoustics will have wider necks.

Comment

Stevo
                                Go get yourself a reasonably priced classical acoustic. I have a really nice-sounding Yamaha that I got for under $250 new. A classical has a wider neck and works better for those of us with Sasquatch paws.

I quickly found that I have neither the time, nor the natural aptitude to teach myself, so I can't really play for shit yet, but I'm hanging onto it.

I also found that by learning chords on the classical, I could then adapt to a standard electric neck and still have it work, even if it was cramped.

Comment

Working...
                                X