want to learn to play the guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to learn to play the guitar

I'm think about picking up a cheap electric guitar starter package and also an acoustical. Any recommendations on how to start? DVD's, how-to books, etc? If I go through with it, I'll probably be getting a youth starter package for my son, as he has been begging for one for a year.

Does anyone know of any online guilds to get started.

Stevo
    Last edited by stevo; 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM.
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Think there is a good phone app.

Comment

I picked up a fender squire and amp for $100 on ebay. Looking for an acoustic as well. I have been told reading tab is the way to go.

Comment

I learned by internet sites and youtube videos. I play acoustic.

Comment

Tabs are easy ways to learn songs. You just have to keep at it
          Big Rooster Racing
          1985 Mustang GT

Comment

i learned because i learned how to read tab. I'm no master of guitars or any musical genius by any means, but i never devoted a lot of time to it. I've been playing for about 10 years. I probably should be a lot farther along than i am, but i just play to play.
            Originally posted by 56482
            only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Get an instructor and take lessons for a while. Once you learn how to do the basics correctly, you'll be able to pick up doing other stuff a lot more easily.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

But OP, do you want to learn to play them drums?
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Believe it or not, there are some awesome tutorials on youtube. You ought to see me on the uke now!

Comment

Tablature is a good way to teach yourself and it gives you the ability to play/learn current music faster imo. That may be a huge plus for a kid wanting to learn if they can try a song they like instead of someone saying "here is a G chord".
                    -Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                      Get an instructor and take lessons for a while. Once you learn how to do the basics correctly, you'll be able to pick up doing other stuff a lot more easily.
                      This! Pay someone to teach you the basics then go out on your own.

Comment

I picked up a Fender Squier Bullet Strat plus a 28w amp off craigslist for $50. I figure that is cheap and good enough to start out.

Something I figured out though, with my big-ass hands and sausage fingers this is going to be a challenge.

Stevo
                        Originally posted by SSMAN
                        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

On-line course is the way to go. No appointments to meet, very cheap, and you can take lessons at midnight if you like. I've been playing since Jesus wore short pants, and if we had available to us what is now available, I'd make Hendix look like a spaz. I have a 14-year-old neighbor kid that can dust me off without breaking a sweat, and that's any style.

Comment

I've always wanted to play a banjo and drums.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post
                              I'm think about picking up a cheap electric guitar starter package and also an acoustical. Any recommendations on how to start? DVD's, how-to books, etc? If I go through with it, I'll probably be getting a youth starter package for my son, as he has been begging for one for a year.

Does anyone know of any online guilds to get started.

Stevo
                              Instacash pawn on the loop or the one on 80 near pizza king usually have decent deals on guitars. I'd recommend starting off accoustic. They'll also cut more of a deal with cash.

If you and your son want to start out together, go up to Mundt and talk to Phil Knox. I'm not sure if he does lessons, but he can point you in the right direction. Robert Browning, across the street from Mundt is a great instructor, he was Monte Pittman (guitarist for Madonna and Adam Lambert)'s guitar teacher. I'd really recommend the kiddo start out with a professional so he can get a good foundation in music theory, rather than just learning chords.

Comment

Working...
                              X