No announcement yet.

Would you have a problem disconnecting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I'm on vacation doing stuff I don't have a problem ignoring it all, but in normal everyday life I would be bored out of my mind.

Comment

This is such a bogus question with such an open ended set of answers.

Scenario 1:
      Just give it all up? No, I can't due to work and the way we exchange information. In this scenario I can't wait for vacations where I have no cell signal and I just call people I need to keep in touch with via an old fashion PSTN connection. However, when I'm in town I have to check 24x7 (nearly) and keep customer satisfaction high and do my part.

Scenario 2:
      All tech goes away? No problem. For entertainment I'd rather be outside doing things. Although for those of us with family spread out or just otherwise far away it would suck a little losing telephones.

There are other scenarios, but I don't want to keep drilling into it. At the end of the day I don't like the leash that smartphones, text, facebook, linked in, emails...etc...etc keep on me from a professional point of view. However, it is a bit of a requirement in this day and age - depending on the field you're in. Maybe if some fields you can stay old school. When you deal in technology it simply is not an option.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Well at work I can only look at this site on my iPhone, and I use pandora all day long m-f for my music from my iPhone. I do not listen to the radio I haven't in like 12yrs. I use to have xm radio, but my iPhone pandora app is all I need.

Other than that at home I am very rarely on the Internet, I live alone I just have better things than be a couch potato and look at the Internet after work

Comment

We had to set a rule for the dining table (either at home or out) where we do not get our phones, ds's, nook, or any other mobile device out. We (hubby, kid and myself) were never talking to each other.

I deleted all of the games on my fb. this and just checkin up on family and friends on fb are all I do. I think I could totally disconnect.

We shall see when we get to Alaska in 2 weeks.....some of the places where we are going,require a SAT phone....

Comment

I love it when I dont have my phone on, which is rare because I constantly have to have it for work. When I am on vacation it is so nice to be without it. I drive the car a lot without even a radio on, just for the peace and quiet.

Comment

Considering next month I'll be working from home 100% of the time, it would be really hard to disconnect. Also with being on call two weeks at a time, then two weeks as a backup with only a two week break, my work phone is with me at all times pretty much.

I also play video games in my spare time, but not to the point that i'm on for hours upon hours at a time. But occasionally I enjoy fucking off.

As for the rest of the time, I don't consider my phone a leash, if I don't want to talk to someone I don't respond. I like my me time, and I don't let the ringing or beeping of a phone interfere with that.

If I was in another industry, possibly. But I enjoy technology and keeping up with new gadgets, etc.

Comment

There are times when one more beep, bell, ring, whatever sends me over the edge and puts me in a bad mood. I'm like a boxer at the bell ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  I'm like a boxer at the bell ring.
                  THat's an awesome analogy...same here.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I haven't played any video games in quite some time. When I think about it, it's shocking how long it's been.

Without a smartphone, laptop, cell service, and internet, I couldn't do my job. So that would be very difficult.
                    x2. I have to stay connected.

I cut out on the gaming a few years back though..... Got burnt out on some counter-strike 1.5!!

Comment

Working...
                    X