Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Production F-35 Lightning II delivered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Production F-35 Lightning II delivered.

Looks like the first training unit is starting to be assembled.

7/15/2011 - EGLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFNS) -- The Department of Defense's first F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter touched down at its new home here July 14, marking a major milestone in the nation's military history.

Upon arrival, the jet officially became part of the Air Force inventory. It now belongs to the JSF training unit, the 33rd Fighter Wing.

Flying it in was Lt. Col. Eric Smith of the 58th Fighter Squadron, the first Air Force qualified F-35 pilot.

"It was a smooth ride in," said the colonel of the hour and 40 minute flight. "The jet behaved awesomely. I'm just so proud to bring it home to Eglin (Air Force Base)."

A crowd of 33rd FW people braved the 90 degree heat to watch the fifth-generation fighter touchdown and taxi in. Col. Andrew Toth, the 33rd FW commander, was the first to greet his pilot upon arrival.

"It's an exciting day here at the wing where our joint and integrated team has been preparing for this day since October 2009," Toth said. "I have no doubt the caliber of the Airmen, Sailors, Marines and contractors will provide safe and effective training operations at Eglin (AFB). Now, we look forward to the start of classes later this year."

Now that the aircraft is on station, F-35 maintainers will train and be certified here at home.

"It's pretty exciting," said Tech. Sgt. Brian West, the crew chief for the new aircraft. "We're thrilled to be able to train with one of our own."

As the world's first multi-role stealth fighter, the F-35 is known for its superior range, cutting-edge avionics and next-generation sensor fusion. Each model shares breakthroughs in combat performance, survivability and support, while each is specifically tailored for unique service needs.

Lt. Col. J.D. Wilbourne, the 58th FS commander, said he was thrilled to see his first aircraft arrive, one day before his change of command.

"This is the best week ever," said the commander, who flew chase in an F-16 Fighting Falcon. "This aircraft ensures air dominance for the next 30 years, and today marks the first step toward that goal."

Yay
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

LOL

A crowd of 33rd FW people braved the 90 degree heat

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
        LOL

Crowd of 33rd Fighter Wing people(personel)?
        G'Day Mate

Comment

LOL

Lulz @ braving 90 degree heat.
          Men have become the tools of their tools.
          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

And yet the fuckin Chinese now have one similar to ours

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
              The news blew that up for a bit. I don't believe the hype, myself. Similar perhaps. Looks "stealthy" yet I don't know of any confirmations as to it's ability to do so. News said "thrust vectoring" yet the engines from the video do not appear to have that capability. Let alone the ability for vertical takeoffs.

Awesome nonetheless! I've recovered many military aircraft. Would loved to have serviced the 35 as well!

Comment

Haha...riiiiight....

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                  Lulz @ braving 90 degree heat.
                  90 degrees in that area can like about 115 this time of year. The humidity is pretty low today, so it's 90 with a 101 heat index.
                  I never appreciated how everyone says "but it's a dry heat" when talking about Texas until I spent 3 years there. It's just nasty, walk outside and start sweating instantly.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Nice. Who else here had a part in making that airplane?

/me raises a hand. (flight controls software)
                    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

If Obama had his way it would be the last, God forbid we might want to protect ourselfs
                      GOD BLESS TEXAS
                      August Landscaping
                      214-779-7278
                      Seb's high class.
                      He'll mow your grass.
                      He'll kick your ass.
                      And while his kidney stones pass,
                      He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                          90 degrees in that area can like about 115 this time of year. The humidity is pretty low today, so it's 90 with a 101 heat index.
                          I never appreciated how everyone says "but it's a dry heat" when talking about Texas until I spent 3 years there. It's just nasty, walk outside and start sweating instantly.
                          Well, yeah I didn't really consider humidity.

They may have a structural mock-up that even flies with reduced radar signature - but they won't have nearly as technologically advanced avionics.
                          Men have become the tools of their tools.
                          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

That thing looks like a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                              Nice. Who else here had a part in making that airplane?

/me raises a hand. (flight controls software)
                              I helped fund it! LoL!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
                              George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                              X