No announcement yet.

GI Bill and Other Military Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill and Other Military Questions...

i plan on doing an extensive search, but i thought i would post here too...

i did 5 years in the USMC and paid all the dues for the gi bill. i want to start taking some classes. who do i talk to in order to get that ball rolling?

also, i have read online that military service can be equivalent to college credit. any truth to that? anyone ever exercised this option?

any help or info will be greatly appreciated. i am tired of missing out on good job opportunities due to my lack of a degree. i am going to change that...

Originally posted by TonyMCev View Post
    i plan on doing an extensive search, but i thought i would post here too...

i did 5 years in the USMC and paid all the dues for the gi bill. i want to start taking some classes. who do i talk to in order to get that ball rolling?

also, i have read online that military service can be equivalent to college credit. any truth to that? anyone ever exercised this option?

any help or info will be greatly appreciated. i am tired of missing out on good job opportunities due to my lack of a degree. i am going to change that...
    For some jobs they will waive college or certain amounts of credit hours if you have served in the military. But I don't know of a college that gives you credit hours for military service.

Comment

Oh and go here http://www.gibill.va.gov/ to apply for your GI bill.

Comment

Most real colleges will only give you pe credits and maybe a couple elective credit hours.
        Go talk to the registar and tell them you want to talk to the va rep, its pretty simple.
        Bring them your dd214 and fill out some paper work.
        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
          Oh and go here http://www.gibill.va.gov/ to apply for your GI bill.
          oh yeah, forgot about that.
          ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

I got my AA on the GI bill at my community college in cleveland, and was able to take home about a grand a month after expenses. I only wish I would have started sooner, getting paid to go to school is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
              I got my AA on the GI bill at my community college in cleveland, and was able to take home about a grand a month after expenses. I only wish I would have started sooner, getting paid to go to school is a good thing.
              did they pay the school directly and you got what was above and beyond that? or did they verify that you were enrolled and pay you the full amount directly?

Comment

did they pay the school directly and you got what was above and beyond that? or did they verify that you were enrolled and pay you the full amount directly?
                Are you a Texas resident? If so, did you enlist in Texas? If yes to those, have you already selected the post 911 gi bill? You are eligible for the hazlewood act.
                I am using the Montgomery 31, or whatever the original one is, and make about $200 extra a month when combined with the hazelwood act. The state pays for my school, since jm a Texas veteran, and the gi bi cash ($1426) is put jnto my account monthly.

It all depends on your local BAH rate, whether the post 911 is best, or the other gibill is best for you.
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

It all depends on when you served. If it was post 9-11 you can get the post 9-11 gi bill and that will give you a monthly stipend based on the amount of hours you are taking and then tuition and book allowance. If you don't qualify for that, then you probably still have the Montgomery and can get the monthly stipend but have to pay for books and tuition out of that or your own pocket. Every school should have a VA counselor that can walk you through the steps, start with going to the link listed in this thread and file for certification of your benefits, every school will want that, and then pick the school.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                    Are you a Texas resident? If so, did you enlist in Texas? If yes to those, have you already selected the post 911 gi bill? You are eligible for the hazlewood act.
                    I am using the Montgomery 31, or whatever the original one is, and make about $200 extra a month when combined with the hazelwood act. The state pays for my school, since jm a Texas veteran, and the gi bi cash ($1426) is put jnto my account monthly.

It all depends on your local BAH rate, whether the post 911 is best, or the other gibill is best for you.

Great info too. Tony you can look on your DD214 for home of residence and that is what they will go off of, if it is TX then the state will cover your tuition.

Comment

When did you serve? I'm using the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. It pays for tuition, plus a monthly living allowance, plus $1000/year for books. The living allowance is equivalent to E-5 w/dependents pay for the zip code of the campus you attend.

Figure out where you want to go and what course of study you want. Talk to the counselor and/or program adviser to get a degree plan, then get in touch with the VA rep at that campus (most have them, even community colleges) and they should be a huge help in getting you started.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                        It all depends on when you served. If it was post 9-11 you can get the post 9-11 gi bill and that will give you a monthly stipend based on the amount of hours you are taking and then tuition and book allowance. If you don't qualify for that, then you probably still have the Montgomery and can get the monthly stipend but have to pay for books and tuition out of that or your own pocket. Every school should have a VA counselor that can walk you through the steps, start with going to the link listed in this thread and file for certification of your benefits, every school will want that, and then pick the school.
                        This is correct, but do the math.. it all comes down to the BAH rate. It I was in Dallas, i would use the post 911, but podunk waco, the Montgomery prevails.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                          This is correct, but do the math.. it all comes down to the BAH rate. It I was in Dallas, i would use the post 911, but podunk waco, the Montgomery prevails.

True, I'm in Dallas so I started with the montgomery in the spring semester but then switched to the Post 9-11 at the beginning of the summer.

Comment

The Post 9/11 GI bill is what you want to use. Go to your school and talk to your veterans rep. It's a couple questions to fill out, pick your classes and wait for Uncle Sam to sign off on it. It's really that simple.

As far as the credit hours, I had to fight A&M Commerce on it and they "lost" my DD214 8 times before I called my AW2 person (Army Wounded Warrior) and they called A&M. When the school said my papers were lost AGAIN, the advocate said "Let me get this straight, this soldier has given you sensitive information over half a dozen times with his social security number on it and you've lost it every time?"

They 'found it' a day later and I had my credits. Good luck.
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I was on the old / pre9-11 GI bill. I was paid directly from the VA every month, ($~1300 or so) so anything above and beyond tuition and books I could keep. It sounds like the new, post 9-11 gi bill is better, especially w/ the hazelwood act. I wish I would have finished my senior year of HS here instead of moving back to CLE.

Comment

Working...
                              X