Bicycle peeps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle peeps.

Picked up a free mountain bike the other day which has been sitting in a garage for about 3 years. The tires were flat but the chain was fine. I filled up the tires with air 50lbs which is holding but it seems to look flat when I get on it. Also, the ride seems off like the tires woble or something. Do I need to change tubes and tires or just lose weight? Are tires that have been sitting flat for a long time still good?

You should be fine. Might check to see that the bead is seated properly all the way around and not bulges.

Comment

^^ That, and also most tubes go "up to" 65 psi, might try upping the pressure a little too.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Visual inspection of the bead looks fine. I plan to check the spokes which I was told should be tight and secure. I just wasn't sure if new rubber was needed since it sat flat for such a long time. I bought tubes, but not tires since they still look somewhat new. I'll throw on the new tubes, fill it to the max capacity, and tighten everything back down. My ass is going on a diet if it still looks flat.

Comment

Inflate the tires to the psi recommended on the side of the tire. If it still "looks flat" while your riding, it's most likely the tire compound has weakened over time or that the tire is of a "less-than-stellar" quality.

If the wheels are "wobbly" it could be a wheel hub/bearing issue. But if you mean it warps left or right as you look down at the wheel, it's gonna be a spoke tension issue. DON'T tighten the spokes on your own. You'll send those suckers straight outta round/break a spoke in a hurry if you don't know how to True a wheel. Unless the spoke nipple is completely loose, then tighten it down a few turns past finger tight.

Now get out there and ride!
          Last edited by TruestreetTim; 07-17-2011, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I typically run at 65 psi. Rock hard. I had an old bike that I rode for years and never changed the tires. They had begun to crumble on the sides to the point it developed a bulge. It was a Huffy though so not like it mattered much. What kind of bike is it?

Comment

By the way...if this is a mountain bike...45 psi is good. No need to run those all the way up to 60-65 psi.
              Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Mountain bikes tire pressure if you're riding on the street 60psi, 45psi if you're actually on trails....

Comment

I do 40 on the trails. I found that anything over is too hard for my preferences.
                  Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by TruestreetTim View Post

DON'T tighten the spokes on your own. You'll send those suckers straight outta round/break a spoke in a hurry if you don't know how to True a wheel. Unless the spoke nipple is completely loose, then tighten it down a few turns past finger tight.

Now get out there and ride!

I made this mistake once lol. I didn't break anything luckily. If you watch a couple of the videos on youtube they explain pretty well how to tight the spokes and use the v brake as a guide to keep the rim true enough for your needs.

Comment

My rear derailleur was out of wack this morning on my ride at Arbor hills. Kept fucking changing on me. So I get back home after I was done, cleaned the chain, both cog sets, oiled everything, and re-tuned the rear derailleur.

Runs like a damn champ now.
                      Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

enjoy it, i picked up a 24" (cruiser) BMX to ride around on and i've been having a blast hopping curbs and hauling ass around like im 12 again. makes great bar transportation too!

Comment

Working...
                        X