Ford Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Explorer

Thinking about picking up a Ford Explorer as a daily driver soon, I have been looking at 99-2001 models. Does anybody have any experience with these, things to look out for things to check when looking at one, anything really. I hate buying a car because you never know what kind of hidden problems you might find.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

I had a 2002 Ford Explorer sport which was the same as the 99-01, just 2 door.

The main thing is if it has the 4.0 SOHC, listen for the timing chain death rattle. To replace the timing chains, you have to pull the motor as there is a chain on the back of the motor and 3 up front. No way to change the rear chain with the motor in the truck.

That thread has a bunch of links that better explain the issues.

Other than that, the only other gremlin I had was the plug for the multifunction switch liked to break a lot as the wires coming up the column don't have enough slack in them. If you tilt the wheel down at all, it puts tension on the clips that hold the wires in the plug and will eventually break. Then your brake lights and turn signals will stop working. Luckily the plug is cheap and it's not that hard to replace.
    Last edited by Hmbre97; 07-15-2011, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I had a 99 and hated that thing. My wife's 2006 is a night and day difference. It's a great ride. It just felt like an old Ranger that got shittier gas mileage. I guess mechanically, I had no complaints as I just did the basic maintenence. Alignment was a recurring issue, but that was about it.

Comment

Now that's the kind of info I'm looking for! Thanks man. I will do a little research on this and see if I can find a clip of what it sounds like, some have quite a few miles on them so this is good to know.
        Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
          Thinking about picking up a Ford Explorer as a daily driver soon, I have been looking at 99-2001 models. Does anybody have any experience with these, things to look out for things to check when looking at one, anything really. I hate buying a car because you never know what kind of hidden problems you might find.
          Right up my alley. I have a 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 with 176k on it. I use it for work/daily. It's 2wd w/3.73's that came with the tow package. I love it. I bought it 3 years ago for $3600 from the original owner, and it has every option: leather, rear air, premium sound, etc. It had 105k when I bought it, and it needed a tune-up in the worst way. I have babied it as far as maintenance, but it has pulled a few big trailers with no problems at all. This one tends to eat rear pads and rotors, which I put on it the day I bought it, along with the fronts.
          I have been looking for another 2000-2001, as I would only want the 5.0. 2002 went to the 4.6. I average about 16mpg, and it gets an honest 20mpg on the highway at 70mph. In the $4000 range, I think they are bargains.

Comment

Anybody know anyone who has one for sale at a good price?

Comment

Anybody know anyone who has one for sale at a good price?
              Define "good"

Comment

3-4,000 is what I would like to spend

Comment

3-4,000 is what I would like to spend
                  Just a quick search through Autotrader tells me that you'll be looking a a pretty high mileage Explorer in that price range. The lowest mileage Explorer in your price range had 118K miles.

The problem is that used car values are extremely high these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Just a quick search through Autotrader tells me that you'll be looking a a pretty high mileage Explorer in that price range. The lowest mileage Explorer in your price range had 118K miles.

The problem is that used car values are extremely high these days.
                    That's pretty spot on with what I've found too.

I would like that type of SUV, any other suggestions that people would have that might be decent in that price range would be welcomed also.

Comment

220,xxx miles and still going strong on my 99 Explorer.

Comment

My suggestion is that if you can wait, then do so. Used car prices should start to edge downward. It's just hard to know when. Some are predicting they'll start coming down this fall. I'm not so sure about that but supply levels should start coming back towards normal as the Japanese get their factories back online. That could lead to more trade ins and lower prices.

I did another auto trader search. You could get a decent one if you up your price range a little. This one is asking $6300, but I think you might be able to negotiate the owner down a bit. Just make sure he did the services and didn't have a wreck..

Originally posted by silverranger View Post
                        220,xxx miles and still going strong on my 99 Explorer.
                        Something tells me that you take care of your car. Most people don't.

Comment

Yes, used car prices are stupid right now.

I bought a Mazda 5 for my wife back in Feb of this year and at the time, it KBB'ed @ $9,600 private party. For shits and giggles a few days ago, I looked up the KBB on it now and with 6k more miles, it's up to $11,600.

I've been watching used cars for a while. Everything is higher than giraffe poontang.

Comment

I've had 3, a 91, 97, and 06. Check out the front lower and upper control arms. They always fail and make a popping noise. Dennys post is pretty accurate, except I didn't really dislike any of them. They were all good, reliable vehicles. The 91 had 170k when I sold it, the 97 220k. The gas milage is the worst part of owning one. Expect about 15-16 mpg.

Comment

I had a 99 Limited 5.0l AWD the only complaints I had were the brakes and alignment. Other than that it would start everytime and never left my wife stranded, had 80k miles when I got it and 230k when it was sold.
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Comment

Working...
                              X