90 weight gear oil odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 weight gear oil odor

How do you get rid of it or cover it up? I had another 4oz leak from a bottle into the floor board of my work truck and I have to be in it for the next 10hrs.

I have no solution, but that sucks ass lol. I hate the way it makes a shop smell, couldn't imagine it inside my truck with me all day.

Comment

My first thought was to get a good, strong air freshener but now I have fruity 90 weight funk.

Comment

No way you can unless you thoroughly clean the carpet/floorboard.

Comment

Baking soda and lots of it. You'll probably have to replace the pad to get rid of it.

Comment

I laid in some ATF working on a T5 about 2 months ago. Had to run to the parts store, so i took my shirt off for the drive, so I didnt dirty up my seats. I put the shirt int he floor board, and it wasnt there long. The smell still is though. 2 months ago, and its still bad. I've since shampooed the entire interior with "turtle wax carpet shampoo" My carpets look good, but it fuckin stinks.

NEVER AGAIN
            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
              I laid in some ATF working on a T5 about 2 months ago. Had to run to the parts store, so i took my shirt off for the drive, so I didnt dirty up my seats. I put the shirt int he floor board, and it wasnt there long. The smell still is though. 2 months ago, and its still bad. I've since shampooed the entire interior with "turtle wax carpet shampoo" My carpets look good, but it fuckin stinks.

NEVER AGAIN
              When I changed the diff fluid in my Vette I inadvertently sat in some fluid. This was 6 months ago and I've washed the shorts probably 20+ times and they still have a light sulfur smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                When I changed the diff fluid in my Vette I inadvertently sat in some fluid. This was 6 months ago and I've washed the shorts probably 20+ times and they still have a light sulfur smell.
                Bummer. My trucks got 236k miles. Pretty clean on the inside. Hell, I could still smell the Mexican I bought the truck from when I turn on the A/C from time to time. I swear he must have spread cologne in the vents, ive had the truck for 70K miles..
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Had this happen in my mustang long time ago.

I bought a bag of cat litter with an odor absorption component and dumped it out behind the seat where the oil spill was. Smell was gone within an hour and I let it sit there for a few days and it eventaully wicked up the oil on the carpet.

Comment

Once you get the spill cleaned out, coffee will absorb the oder like a MoFo! Seriously, put some unused coffee grounds in a tupperware bowl or something and put that in the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                      Had this happen in my mustang long time ago.

I bought a bag of cat litter with an odor absorption component and dumped it out behind the seat where the oil spill was. Smell was gone within an hour and I let it sit there for a few days and it eventaully wicked up the oil on the carpet.
                      Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      Once you get the spill cleaned out, coffee will absorb the oder like a MoFo! Seriously, put some unused coffee grounds in a tupperware bowl or something and put that in the car.
                      Thanks yall, I'll give these a shot.

Comment

Go to the dollar store and pick up a little tub of stain remover its a buck. Rub it in, wait and wash. A friend's dad told me about it and I tried it on some pants, it knocked the smell out... even does blood stains.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                          ^Best answer <revised>

Use full strength Simple Green to break down the oil, mop up with several cotton rags, then poor about a cup of fine ground (unused) coffee grounds into it and let sit for a day or two.

David

Comment

Another vote for the coffee method.

Comment

Gear oil sucks. My garage has smelled like it since the FOFISIXES.
                              2012 GT500

Comment

Working...
                              X