Telephoto Zoom Lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephoto Zoom Lenses

I was about to purchase either the 55-200mm or 55-300mm VR Nikon lens until I read a few reviews that mentioned the 70-300mm lens and how it was better. I tried doing a bit more searching but I am not seeing what makes it better though? The f stops look identical to the 55-300 and almost has the same amount of features but is 100-/+ more.

Opinions? Should I dish out an extra $100 for the 70-300mm or go with the 55-300mm?
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Would just give you a bit more zoom with that 70, if I'm not mistaken. Doing some window peeping?
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Ja you's a window shopperrrrrr

Comment

I recently got a d5000, and was looking at the same lens. I visited Precision Camera here in Austin. I posed the question to the guy, "if it were your $$ and you were only getting one zoom lens, which one would you get?" He said to save my money and get the 18-200vr lens. More $$, but well worth it.

I asked my dad (aspiring photographer) the same thing and he did some research, but his answer was the same.

Shop the latest mirrorless & DSLR cameras and NIKKOR lenses from the official Nikon eCommerce site. Explore our innovations and photo equipment!

Comment

Originally posted by The Geofster View Post
          Would just give you a bit more zoom with that 70, if I'm not mistaken. Doing some window peeping?
          Negative. I find myself needing a lot more zoom so I need a bigger lens. The 70 btw is unzoomed.

I did a little more reading and see that the 70-300mm has a few extra features like DE but is it really worth it?
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I have the 55-200 if your near garland and want to try it out. As far as the 18-200, I would rather get a Tamron 18-270/VC which is about $300 cheaper and imo much better than the 18-200

Comment

Ken Rockwell considers the 18-200 VRII or the originall 18-200 VR to be the best "do-it-all" lens. The only real difference between them is that the VRII has a zoom lock. Sometimes you kind find good deals on a used 18-200 VR.

Comment

Is 200 enough zoom? The reason why I got curious about the 55-300 or even the 70-300 was because of the zoom magnification. I was tempted to just buy the 55-200 at Walmart and see if it fit my needs or not and bring it back if needed.

I think I answered my question on the 70-300 though with the extra options such as the DE. If the 55's-X00 are any sort of qaulity as my current 18-55 then I think that would be more than enough qualiaty.

Comment

When I used to do aerial photography we would shoot with a cannon 70-300mm zoom

Comment

I have the 70 - 300 VR lens if your in fort worth you can come over and try it. But, most locally owned places (Fort Worth Camera) will let you try just about any lens on your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by crooner View Post
                      I have the 70 - 300 VR lens if your in fort worth you can come over and try it. But, most locally owned places (Fort Worth Camera) will let you try just about any lens on your camera.
                      Where in Fort Worth?

Comment

Working...
                      X