Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I obtain info on purchasing a hopper/coal car? (train)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I obtain info on purchasing a hopper/coal car? (train)

We were talking about this last night. A buddy mentioned you (the public) ha e ability to purchase a train car then lease it back to one of the train companies. (ie- Norfolk Southern, BNSF, UP, etc) I tried googling i but came up empty. Anyone else heard of this?

For 60,000 a pop, I am not to interested in a steel box.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Wow, didn't know you could do that. I wonder if that's a decent investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
        Wow, didn't know you could do that. I wonder if that's a decent investment.
        That's my point too. He said his father in law bought one and leased it back to the railroad on a 30 year lease and that really got my attention.

Comment

You will only get paid when the car is loaded. It could sit for weeks empty not making you anything. You also have to pay the railroads rates on repairs and service. A set of wheels will cost you 5k. You wont get rich with one car lol. There are companys that own thousands of cars that make good money leasing them though.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
            You will only get paid when the car is loaded. It could sit for weeks empty not making you anything. You also have to pay the railroads rates on repairs and service. A set of wheels will cost you 5k. You wont get rich with one car lol. There are companys that own thousands of cars that make good money leasing them though.
            You have to start somewhere

Comment

Holy fuck, where do I sign up?
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Out of all the things to invest in, I never thought a coal car would be one of them!
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
                  You have to start somewhere
                  There are over 50k railcars that have been sitting in storage for the past 2years. Also to lease coal cars you need at least 125 cars. They lease whole coal trains not cars. Since coal cars are all aluminum they cost alot more.

Comment

You'd be wasting more money than you could ever imagine by buying a car and leasing it to the railroad. If you're ever in Montana, Wyoming or North Dakota, follow the tracks up there. You'll see hundreds upon hundreds of railroad owned cars sitting in sidings. Most have been sitting there since late 2007. Why would they lease a SINGLE car from some random guy, with no major company affiliation, when they have thousands just laying around???

Comment

Originally posted by Swag View Post
                      You'd be wasting more money than you could ever imagine by buying a car and leasing it to the railroad. If you're ever in Montana, Wyoming or North Dakota, follow the tracks up there. You'll see hundreds upon hundreds of railroad owned cars sitting in sidings. Most have been sitting there since late 2007. Why would they lease a SINGLE car from some random guy, with no major company affiliation, when they have thousands just laying around???
                      Because someone heard it on the innernets!

Comment

Working...
                      X