No announcement yet.

Home A/C unit went out on Monday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think construction is important. We have changed the way we build houses because of air conditioning. One thing is the shades on the windows. If you look at many pier and beam houses built in the early 20th century you will notice they have those big ass ugly metal shades overhanging the windows to keep the sun from shining in the house. My great grandmas house in Oklahoma had those and I always wondered what they were for. I'm almost certain that the dank ass crawl space under the house would keep it cooler too. The screened in porch is another obvious thing that made it so you could stand the summer.

I think I would have to live in a hole underground without A/C in the summer.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The house I grew up in in los Angeles did not have ac.. of course it rarely got warmer than low 80's and always cooled down at night so it really wasn't needed. then I moved in with my dad in wa. we had no central heat or ac
      Last edited by Chili; 07-08-2011, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
        And we went to B-9 last night for dinner and A/C and Leah makes us all sit outside on the patio in FUCKING HEAT!
        Whoa, whoa, whoa. I didn't make your ass do shit. A few of us preferred it outside where you could actually hear the people yelling at you and we migrated out there. You're the one who followed.
        Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
        Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
        Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
        You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
          ... How in the hell did our greatgreat grand people live without A/C in Texas?!?!?!?!?!
          Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          They built houses in such a way that they didn't need A/C, plus they were used to the heat and lived with it, and large porches around the house didn't hurt either.

My great grandmother's house can be opened up at night and it cools down nice. Close up the windows when you get up and it stays comfortable the whole day, then do it again at night.
          x2. My grandparents lived in a 100 year home. It was hot, but never dying hot in the house. Fans in the house made it better.

That, and as said, if you don't know any better, you learn to live with it.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
          X