No announcement yet.

Attorney references for probating will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attorney references for probating will?

After a lengthy battle with lymphoma and chemo, my dad past away last month. My brother is named as executor and he is in the process of identifying bills, obligations, and other responsibilities of the estate. We will need to probate the will as he has some real estate to be divided between the family.

All told, I think there is less than $200k in liquid and real assets. We are still waiting on death certificates before we can begin closing his affairs. Have any of you been thru this or have a good probate attorney you would recommend? There is a guzillion lawyers out there.
    Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Sorry about your loss. My dad passed away in May and I've been helping my mom with estate issues (including this one). I can't remember the lawyer she used but I'll try to get their name and let you know.

Comment

Sorry about your loss.

Comment

Thanks, he's in a better place now and he and my mom are resting beside each other. So has anyone probated a will before? I have some specific questions regarding issuing of funds.

I understand there is no inheritance or estate tax in Texas. If my brother transfers all existing funds to his acct and then distributes per the will from there, does this transfer get reported to the state or IRS for tax purposes? I know the bank will report interest and/or dividends paid on the accts like anyone else and the estate will be liable for that.
        Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Matt is a friend of mine, and Andrew recently did some work for us on a will. They are relatively young guys, but good at what they do and won't nickel and dime you.

tell them Jeff Dalton sent you.

Comment

sister n law is family attorney in crandall. cheney legal is the name..michelle is her name. tell her i sent u..bubba
            KODFWS 2011

Comment

Working...
            X