Reporting misdemeanor on job apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting misdemeanor on job apps

Transferring to a new area and they are asking, "Have you ever been arrested and/or convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation?"

They are not stating any specific dates, though i'm curious if I should list mine.

Over 7 years ago I was arrested for "racing on highway", which is a class B. Should I list it, or does it fall past a certain time frame?

List it. If you put the charge and the date they will probably laugh it off. They may ask you about it and give you the chance to tell your story. It's doubtful that would cost you the job.

However, if you lie on the application, and they catch it (good chance they will), you are screwed.

To put it simply, lying on the app now is much worse than racing on the highway 7 years ago.

Comment

List it.

Ive D/Q'ed more people for omitting from their application over the smallest stuff. If they just would have listed it I would have hired them.

Comment

What he said ^, most places would appreciate the honesty, and see that it was 7 years ago.

Comment

Which part of, "Have you ever..." did you not understand?

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Is this out of state? Generally you can't ask a person if they have been arrested, only if they have been convicted of a crime. Not that it matters, just curious. You should list it.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Is this out of state? Generally you can't ask a person if they have been arrested, only if they have been convicted of a crime. Not that it matters, just curious. You should list it.
                Happened in TX and a TX job.

4/16/2004, racing on highway, proceed dism/def discharged

Comment

You guys are slipping. Not one mention of quit breaking the law seven years ago, asshole.

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Hah! I did stop breaking the law!

Comment

Skidmark, I Would recommend getting an expunction takes around 3 months to get wiped from your record and cost around 1k but I just had three done for peace of mind on applications.
                      2006 Civic SI
                      2009 Pilot
                      1988 GT
                      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Don't list it - when they find out and ask about it, tell them you consider it to be a "minor traffic violation".

Do not take advice from me this morning.

Comment

They appreciate honesty. I have to answer YES to the felony question.. although now it is more than 7 years, so the last one I did I got to answer NO.

However, this new job I an accepting asks "Have you EVER", so I have to answer YES. But, I kinda already have the job, so does it matter? I always speak on the negative aspect as briefly as I can, then explain how having made those unwise decisions back then and having to answer for them gave me the opportunity to address and conquer some character traits that would have otherwise never been exposed, and would have continued to lie dormant, festering and growing like a malignant tumor, growing bigger and uglier and finally protruding from between my eyes like a fleshy horn that needs to be lanced and laid open so that the angry, swollen appendage could be drained of its infectous...

...well anyway, just don't lie. I seen 'em walk a feller right out the door months after being employed...

Comment

Working...
                          X