diesel truck suggestion needed for hot-shot running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel truck suggestion needed for hot-shot running

BIL asked me at lunch today if i would be interested in running equipment for him between here and El Paso and here and Roswell, NM. Asked me if I was interested. Said Id need to get a truck and trailer (40' gooseneck). What used diesel would you recommend? (Pre-EGR) Trailer recommendation?

Cummins

This is where we have bought our last 3 work trailers, saved a lot of money over Big Tex

Comment

thanks.

when i asked about the pay, he said they run 5 days a week, 75% of the load is paid, and expect $1500-$3500 every two weeks. As an O/O I could see $3500 as do-able since im covering all costs, but $1500 every two weeks, no way. I need to get more info. Thanks, ill go look for some cummins.

Comment

I'd stick with a 5.9 and a manual for hot shot. My old man is still building trailers but I think he is sticking to bigger hydraulic units at this point.

Stay away from PJ, load trail, EW, pro-trak (out of business) and Texas pride. Anything with Quality brand axles is a death trap as well as al-ko kober axles. Stick with dexter's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          I'd stick with a 5.9 and a manual for hot shot. My old man is still building trailers but I think he is sticking to bigger hydraulic units at this point.

Stay away from PJ, load trail, EW, pro-trak (out of business) and Texas pride. Anything with Quality brand axles is a death trap as well as al-ko kober axles. Stick with dexter's.
          thanks

since it's 20,000 lbs and lighter freight, could I do it on a SRW truck or would I need a DRW truck?

Comment

Using this truck as an example, any red flags jump out at you regarding this vehicle?

Comment

this one seems a lot cleaner, albeit a bit more

Comment

It's a 24v.

Srw will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  It's a 24v.

Srw will be fine.
                  in your opinion is the 12v superior to the 24v or vice versa?

Comment

I'm about to sell a 2005 3/4 ton long bed quad cab cummins auto with somewhere under 150k miles. Has dents, scrapes etc and could use a new front bumper, but the price will reflect that.(Has a front replacement, but an employee hit a cattle guard, tore up the replacement, but not the truck) It was a work truck, but rarely if ever pulled a trailer. If your interested let me know, but you might need the 1 ton depending on how much tongue weight you will have. Almost all the hot shots here run 1 ton duallys

Comment

they all have their problems, I'd get a duramax for the fuel mileage although seems like every duramax we get on the lot needs injectors.

Comment

Most folks runnng hot shots run Dodge Cummins with manual trans. 99% are duallys. Confirming what Sean says - Dexter trailer axles are as good as it gets.

You're also gonna need to take a look a commercial insurance, if you take the NM run you'll need IFTA for fuel tax and getting your own DOT authority and apportioned plates. Oh and you'll need to pay taxes quarterly since you're self-employed. It ain't all gravy - O/O's make decent money but the expenses are murder. I just sold my Peterbilt after a few months of owner/operator heaven - couldn't get ahead; I'd be rocking along thinking I was doing ok then it'd be time for two tires, oil change, PM or quarterly taxes and I'd be right back in the red again.
                        Last edited by JP135; 07-05-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                          they all have their problems, I'd get a duramax for the fuel mileage although seems like every duramax we get on the lot needs injectors.
                          We have both and the 5.9 cummins with a standard smokes the shit out of a duramax on fuel mileage. Both were loaded up similar with a toolbox bed and hoist. Cummins is an 03, duramaxs varied from 05-11 and it beats all of them.

Our Duramaxs are hit or miss, out of 3 07's one is a great truck, one is average and one has constant issues.

Comment

thanks everyone for the input, looks like ill look for a DRW cummins with a 6 speed

Comment

what year did Dodge start putting the 6 speed manual trans in their 1 tons?

Comment

Working...
                              X