Woodworking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking question

I’m looking for an alternative to wood filler, or a better brand, that will end up smooth with little or no cracking if possible.

I’m making a couple of things out of wood, both are going to be painted when I am done. The first time I made something like this I used wood filler (Elmers), sanded, primed, and painted over it. I had issues with getting the wood filler to sand smooth (it seemed pretty porous) and it cracked pretty soon after I painted it. Can anyone suggest a good alternative, maybe drywall joint compound or a different brand of wood filler?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Sawdust and woodglue. Make your own putty out of the sawdust from the cut wood and glue, that way its a perfect match, stains almost identical to the wood to hide it better.
    G'Day Mate

Comment

Polyester fillers (bondo) will work on wood especially if you are trying to fill larger cavities.

What exactly are you making and what kind of finish are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
        Sawdust and woodglue. Make your own putty out of the sawdust from the cut wood and glue, that way its a perfect match, stains almost identical to the wood to hide it better.
        Hmm, creative. I'm not staining these two , but in the future I think that may come in handy. I may try it on these as long as it sands down smooth.

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
        Polyester fillers (bondo) will work on wood especially if you are trying to fill larger cavities.

What exactly are you making and what kind of finish are you using?
        I am making a small box to hold dominos, this is going to be painted red (somewhat glossy, not flat). The second piece is a stand to hold my work computer a little higher off the ground, this will be painted flat black. (The domino box is a gift for my grandpa so I want that to look as nice/smooth as possible. He just gave me a table saw, miter saw, router and a dremel tool. I'm not great at building things, but I wanted him to make him a little something to let him know I appreciated it.)
        "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

if you are going to paint, use auto body filler. Cheap, doesn't shrink and easy to work with.

Comment

Bondo would work. Spackle works too, but not as strong. Grimpala's sawdust and woodglue is the way a typical woodworker will get it done.

BTW, elmers = crap for fillers and wood glues. For future reference, use Titebond for wood glue and just about anything else for filler.

Comment

Originally posted by coley View Post
              if you are going to paint, use auto body filler. Cheap, doesn't shrink and easy to work with.
              Maybe I'll give that a try. I'm guessing I can buy that at AutoZone in somewhat small amounts?

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              Bondo would work. Spackle works too, but not as strong. Grimpala's sawdust and woodglue is the way a typical woodworker will get it done.

BTW, elmers = crap for fillers and wood glues. For future reference, use Titebond for wood glue and just about anything else for filler.
              Well since I already have the ingredients to make this I will try it first.

I figured that the product I picked wasn't very good, looking back I probably picked it for the name (which is what they are banking on im sure). I was the sucker that day. I am actually using titebond wood glue, It works great.

Beavis I think you were the guy making pens a while back, right? There is a Rockler store right by my apartment, I went in there to look for a couple of things and saw all of their pen blanks and the pre-made kits for the internals. I thought that was really cool.

The Rockler guys seemed a little snobby (they didn't think much of my 20 year old hand me down Craftsman tools) but they do have classes on Sundays on pen making, box making, bowl carving ect. I'm probably going to go to a couple of them just to see what they are like.

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I hope to get these two projects to primer by next weekend.

Comment

Now if you just have a dent in the wood, all you have to do is place a wet paper towel on the dent and the put a hot iron on it just for a short time. This is an old trick that I learned in high school wood shop back in the 80's.
                Two in the pink and one in the stink

Comment

Working...
                X