Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do dealerships calculate trade-in value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do dealerships calculate trade-in value?

As I stated in another thread, I'm looking at buying a new truck. I was planning on selling my Lexus IS350 myself just to not get raped, but I figure I'd let the dealership throw me an offer to see if it's close to something I'd take.

According to KBB, the trade-in value is ~$24k for excellent condition, and NADA says ~$23k. I did a quick search on Auto Trader and they seem to be going for $25k-29k in the same year and mileage range (private and retail).

So my question is, how exactly do dealerships calculate it?

Before any smart ass comments, yes I realize I'd get a lot more selling it myself, but I'm just curious.

auction data

Comment

They generally go off of Kelly black book and/or average auction price. From my experience, those usually run 25% to 30% below retail. Bottom line, if you can sell it privately, do so. With a trade-in, the raping is certain, the only question is how deep the penetration will be.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Fuck trade-in. I just sold my '00 GT for $4,500 on private sale. Carmax was offering $2,500 and the dealer was offering $3,200.

Comment

Keep in mind the tax savings. Does not mean much on a $3000 turd but a $25,000 car that is $1500.00

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
          54 Olds 88 2dr HT
          12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
            Keep in mind the tax savings. Does not mean much on a $3000 turd but a $25,000 car that is $1500.00
            This is one of the reasons I'd consider the trade in, because I'd save ~$1300 in tax on the new truck, so that'd make the raping a little more gentle.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
              x2 and there is no freaking hassle of meeting up with worthless people who arent really interested in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                x2 and there is no freaking hassle of meeting up with worthless people who arent really interested in your car.
                And this is the biggest reason I'd consider trading it it. Del Rio really isn't a Lexus kind of town if you know what I mean, so I can only imagine the low ball offers I'd get if I put it up for sale. The time wasted on tire kickers and low ballers is worth a couple thousand to me.

Comment

Well so far we've been offered $16k and $18k, which they said are wholesale numbers. Both have been small town dealerships and said they don't have a market for luxury cars. Oh well, I guess I'll sell it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYouL8R View Post
                    And this is the biggest reason I'd consider trading it it. Del Rio really isn't a Lexus kind of town if you know what I mean, so I can only imagine the low ball offers I'd get if I put it up for sale. The time wasted on tire kickers and low ballers is worth a couple thousand to me.
                    Dude your doing it all wrong. Park that shit one block from the border and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by FreightTrain View Post
                      Dude your doing it all wrong. Park that shit one block from the border and walk away.
                      why so dirty mike and the gang can turn it into a f-shack?

Comment

We always used wholesale book and then deducted for repairs needed. Make sure the car is as clean as it can be.
                        Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

At least where I used to work, it was black book to the max. I took a fuck-ton of trade in's to the used car department and the black book was there holy bible. They'd drive the vehicle for about 2 minutes, do a walkaround and base the price of blackbook value and what they saw in that little bit of time. My advice, keep the outside dirty, keep the inside clean before putting it in for trade in. It's a great way of hiding scars, but still looking like the car is taken care of.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Selling my Honda today to Carmax.
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                              Selling my Honda today to Carmax.
                              Don't do it! What year & model?
                              2 Chronicles 7:14
                              If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Working...
                              X