Question for car buying experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for car buying experts

I've been looking at GMC Sierras for a while so I decided to test drive one today and talk some pricing. Since I'm Active Duty Military, I qualify for their "Preferred pricing" which I guess is like Ford's X-plan, where it took $2000 off the truck before adding any advertised rebates. The rebates themselves took another $5500 off the truck which brought it to $29k out the door, but it was still $1000 more than I wanted to spend. I told him I came in not wanting to spend a penny over $27k, but maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle. We went back and forth for about an hour, with him going to get the manager and all the typical tactics, but they wouldn't budge off their price, not one dollar. I even told him I'd be willing to take some accessories instead of cash off but they said they couldn't do that. The salesman and manager said the same thing, that with the "Preferred pricing", they don't have any wiggle room. Both were very polite but just said they couldn't come down any more.

So I said thanks but no thanks, and they let me walk out the door. I then went to another GMC dealership that said the same exact thing, no wiggle room at all. This is my first new car buying experience and I was ready to negotiate my balls off but they're not allowing me to.

So is this legit with the "preferred" or X-Plan type pricing? Do the dealerships not make much with this pricing? Overall, even at $29k out the door, I think I'm getting one hell of a deal, but I feel cheated if I don't get to talk them down at all. The MSRP was $35,200 so with TTL you're looking at over $37,500, so I'm getting almost $9k off, but shit, can a brother get even a bed liner or something!?

go get a Ford. seriously.
    2011 Mustang GT
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KungFuHamster View Post
      go get a Ford. seriously.

Comment

$7k-$8k off of a $35k truck sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          $7k-$8k off of a $35k truck sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.
          sounds great, except for the GMC part.

Comment

I'd rather have a gmc over a ford personally though I like the looks of the f150 over the 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              sounds great, except for the GMC part.
              I will never buy another GMC product because of the "bailout", but I don't hold it against someone else if that's what they want. I've owned a lot of shitty Fords over the years, too.

Comment

Sounds like a deal to me, they gots bills to pay too you know

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
                  Sounds like a deal to me, they gots bills to pay too you know
                  Like paying us back! ;-)

Comment

Internet sales will get you your best deal everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                      Internet sales will get you your best deal everytime.
                      I helped my daughter buy a new Mazda 3 last weekend, and that's the truth. Cut through tons of bullshit and almost made it a pleasurable experience...as it SHOULD be when spending thousands of dollars.

Comment

i know the owner of covert chevrolet/gmc in austin...he's open tomorrow. give this guy a call and tell him that brad in dallas told you to call...he'll give you a straight up price.

rox covert
                        1-800-937-7076

Comment

I got $12k off my Ford

Hit up the dealership in Grapevine. They have always been great. If they wont come down below that, I doubt you will find anyone that will. I have known many people that have bought from them and they always say its one of the best car buying experiences they have had.

Comment

This is a reason why I will never buy a new car again. If they can afford to take off $8,000- 12,000 just think how badly they are raping people when there are no "specials".

I understand those (myself included) that get X amount marked off and thats cool and all since you saved but were still getting raped. I just find it funny when people say they got a good deal and think they got a good deal in a game of ass raping and lose, lose... lol
                            Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                            Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I'm being greedy, but I hate to buy any vehicle with the first and only offer a dealership gives me. It just seems unheard of.

Like I said, this is my first new car buying experience. I never through I'd buy a new car just because of the hit you take, but the prices on the new Sierras are actually better than the used ones right now so why not.

Comment

Working...
                              X