Terminated today, future employer HR verification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
    Our policy is a locked computer as well. The group policy auto locks it after 10 minutes of being idle. Still though, if it ain't national security I don't see the reason for the freak out.
    It is a big deal here, since we do deal with private information(banking) but I don't think it is to that extent.

Hell I loved changing backgrounds and screensavers on the dumbasses that left it unlocked.

Comment

They can't ask HR why you were fired. However, they can ask if you would be eligible for rehire. And that basically tells the story. Just be honest and upfront, if it happens to come up. I've seen people get hired for simply being honest and upfront about problems with a previous employer. Some will be willing to overlook certain indiscretions and some won't. If you don't have a lot of tenure at this position, I would just omit it from your resume.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        It is a big deal here, since we do deal with private information(banking) but I don't think it is to that extent.

Hell I loved changing backgrounds and screensavers on the dumbasses that left it unlocked.
        Been there, doen that...actually quite a few times around here. Either that or pulll up thier notepad and type a dirty note and then lock thier computer. LOL!!

Comment

My old supervisor would open up mspaint and write something about I will ensure I lock my computer moving forward or will face disciplinary actions and make it the wallpaper.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by SVTNorthTexas View Post
            All they can verify is your date of employment. They cannot ask what your position was or anything else. Somtimes they do get tricky and find out rather or not you were canned by asking if you are elgible for re-hire?
            That's not true.

Your old employer can only give accurate and truthful information about you. You can still sue, but if they can prove the information is accurate and truthful from documentation, then you have no leg to stand on.

This information can only be related to your job duties, not your personal hygeine, hobbies, etc...

Unless the company's policy is to only give out certain information and you can get it documented that, this is their policy might you have something to sue for.

At least this is my general understanding of it.

And even then, you have to prove they said anything about you at all, which requires the new company, who didn't hire you, to tell you what they said, and be willing to testify to it in court.

Comment

Originally posted by SVTNorthTexas View Post
              Been there, doen that...actually quite a few times around here. Either that or pulll up thier notepad and type a dirty note and then lock thier computer. LOL!!
              I always liked to do a print screen then delete all the icons and hide the start menu and make the print screen the back ground. Looks the same but nothing worked.

Comment

I'm going to have to say there is probably more to this story then we are being told... if someone I was interviewing me to me they were fired because they didn't lock their computer I would automatically think something is up... there must have been other things going on and they just used this as a final reason.
                1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 3.90x3.62 View Post
                  They can't ask HR why you were fired. However, they can ask if you would be eligible for rehire. And that basically tells the story. Just be honest and upfront, if it happens to come up. I've seen people get hired for simply being honest and upfront about problems with a previous employer. Some will be willing to overlook certain indiscretions and some won't. If you don't have a lot of tenure at this position, I would just omit it from your resume.
                  Yes, it is a bank I was just fired from. I worked at my previous company for 8 years, then left them and took this position at this bank and have been here for 6 months. Id like to omit it from my resume but man, how do I explain that 6 month gap? Man this sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                    I always liked to do a print screen then delete all the icons and hide the start menu and make the print screen the back ground. Looks the same but nothing worked.
                    Now THAT sounds hilarious. lol

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      we used to turn the screen upside down
                      Ctrl + Alt + arrow (left, right, up or down) to rotate the screen.
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                        I'm going to have to say there is probably more to this story then we are being told... if someone I was interviewing me to me they were fired because they didn't lock their computer I would automatically think something is up... there must have been other things going on and they just used this as a final reason.
                        Well, it does not help that I just challenged my boss and HR on a policy issue with one of my employees, I guess you could say this happened at the perfect time for them as it was a means of immediate termination since it is in our handbook. I guess looking back I shouldnt have fought that battle as they probably wouldnt have canned me over such a minute offense, even though it does say 'up to and including termination' for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          That's not true.

Your old employer can only give accurate and truthful information about you. You can still sue, but if they can prove the information is accurate and truthful from documentation, then you have no leg to stand on.

This information can only be related to your job duties, not your personal hygeine, hobbies, etc...

Unless the company's policy is to only give out certain information and you can get it documented that, this is their policy might you have something to sue for.

At least this is my general understanding of it.

And even then, you have to prove they said anything about you at all, which requires the new company, who didn't hire you, to tell you what they said, and be willing to testify to it in court.
                          I do know my ex-employer uses the work number for employment verification.

The Work Number database provides comprehensive verification services for commercial and government verifiers, employers and employees.

When filling out apps going forward should I put the number on that website or what?

Comment

Originally posted by DODGE View Post
                            Yes, it is a bank I was just fired from. I worked at my previous company for 8 years, then left them and took this position at this bank and have been here for 6 months. Id like to omit it from my resume but man, how do I explain that 6 month gap? Man this sucks.
                            You go back to work for another financial institution and they WILL know you worked at that bank, trust me. If it's federally chartered the FBI does the background checks. what bank was it? pretty harsh for 1st offense, was prob just an excuse to terminate and reduce the channel overhead.

Comment

Next time get a union job.

Ever considered working as a USPS service clerk or being a train engineer?

(j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by DODGE View Post
                                Gender reassignment and the subsequent healing process.

Comment

Working...
                                X