Terminated today, future employer HR verification question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terminated today, future employer HR verification question

well, I admit, i made a dumb mistake. I left my cubicle and didn't lock my computer and it just so happens the VP of Security was visiting today and came to my cubicle and my desktop was not secured. I was just let go an hour ago for a stupid mistake by me.

My question now is, going forward, when i apply for new positions, when the HR dept calls to verify my employment will they call and verify my dates worked only, or do they also verify how I left the company? (ie- layed off, terminated, resigned, etc)

Originally posted by DODGE View Post
    well, I admit, i made a dumb mistake. I left my cubicle and didn't lock my computer and it just so happens the VP of Security was visiting today and came to my cubicle and my desktop was not secured. I was just let go an hour ago for a stupid mistake by me.

My question now is, going forward, when i apply for new positions, when the HR dept calls to verify my employment will they call and verify my dates worked only, or do they also verify how I left the company? (ie- layed off, terminated, resigned, etc)
    Wow...how f'in anal of a policy is that? Y'all national defense or something?

And I believe they can't ask how/why you left. I'm not an HR expert, though.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

What company is that, because they are dicks!

Why wouldn't they set the Group Policy to like 5 seconds if they were so worried about it?

Comment

Originally posted by DODGE View Post

Your previous employer won't say much, unless don't mind getting hit with a lawsuit.

I wouldn't cry too much, it sounds like you worked for assholes.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

That sucks.. you must work with personal or classified information.? Did they tell you guys to not leave them unlocked while away?

Comment

If someone leaves their computer unlocked in my office area, we just send emails to the team and our manager confessing their undying love for our manager!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
              Wow...how f'in anal of a policy is that? Y'all national defense or something?
              Should be standard corp policy at all places. Along with a screensaver password and enforce it engage quickly when idle.

Although, if this was a first offense, that seems awfully strict.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                Should be standard corp policy at all places. Along with a screensaver password and enforce it engage quickly when idle.

This is what I was thinking.

It should auto lock. Yea it is your responsibility, but man, one time it happened?

Comment

Is this your first corrective action, OP?
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Pron?

Comment

You should call R.A. Gabriel and sue, flowers included.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                        Is this your first corrective action, OP?
                        That's what I'm wondering. I've worked for a few large banks, and I've known people to get formally written up over it - but not fired for the first time it happened. Now, 3rd time or more - possible.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          This is what I was thinking.

It should auto lock. Yea it is your responsibility, but man, one time it happened?
                          Our policy is a locked computer as well. The group policy auto locks it after 10 minutes of being idle. Still though, if it ain't national security I don't see the reason for the freak out.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

All they can verify is your date of employment. They cannot ask what your position was or anything else. Somtimes they do get tricky and find out rather or not you were canned by asking if you are elgible for re-hire?

Comment

That's what I'm wondering. I've worked for a few large banks, and I've known people to get formally written up over it - but not fired for the first time it happened. Now, 3rd time or more - possible.
                              I agree here, but I also think that there are plenty of ways they can manage this including group policy with strict timeout policies to ensure it doesn't happen.

Most don't so they can add one more reason to write you up and terminate people. It's a shady slope.

Comment

Working...
                              X