Where to put money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
    News flow suggests the Greece situation looking like it's resolved (for now) to be a catalyst. You also can't forget general fund flows.
    That "for now" is what keeps my eyebrows raised. Remember Greece's last bail-out? What did that do? What about all the other countries tied to the Euro that are needing the same help? What has changed over the last few years (since 15 Sept 2008) that is driving all of this confidence? Who is it that has all this confidence?

Bear, Lehman, Goldman, Morgan, Maddloff, Enron, Countrywide, Citi, AIG... there are so many variables that can and have changed the market that are beyondcontrol. This is like saying, not that it CAN'T happen again (silly), but that it is not as likely to happen. I'm talking one big fuck up that would effect the market as a whole, not just the company itself. It is bad enough with all of these currencies being manipulated against other currencies and wars being fought over commodities and assets.

To some, the happenings in September of 2008 was a no-brainer, but what about the next time?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
      As Jody mentioned the market is actually undervalued compared to historical norm. What is happening is that many companies are already back to showing the earnings they had before the collapse yet share prices don't reflect that. Problem is that they aren't hiring anyone. If that little problem of hiring would go away the economy would see some recovery. I don't think that is going to happen with Obama in the White House, too much uncertainty. Stock prices will still stay down and won't become undervalued until the retail investor gets back in. That doesn't happen in any cycle until the market gets higher and people start bragging to their friends about how much money they are making in the market. Once the unsophisticated investor gets back in, he is the one who gets taken for a ride and loses his ass.

None of this is a solution for the debt situation in this country, of course. But I will say that I would be more comfortable with a debt crisis here if the economy was humming along before they tried to tackle it.
      Undervalued to what? A weak, inflated dollar? OK, I'll give you that.

I don't even want to go into earnings until we get back to a "Mark to Market" type system again. I'll just value my Cobra at $100K and my house at $700K so my earnings look better than last year. Maybe someone will invest in me.

All of these assets that banks and companies hold are either over valued on what they report them to be or holding back from foreclosing to mask the loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post

I don't even want to go into earnings until we get back to a "Mark to Market" type system again. I'll just value my Cobra at $100K and my house at $700K so my earnings look better than last year. Maybe someone will invest in me.

All of these assets that banks and companies hold are either over valued on what they report them to be or holding back from foreclosing to mask the loss.
        You like this post!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
          You like this post!
          I hate that it has to be discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post

With the Euro situation and the Chinese situation that value isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It really does come down to that.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

With the Euro situation and the Chinese situation that value isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It really does come down to that.
              That is versus other currencies. What about the purchasing power loss?

Comment

The Chinese shit is really coming home to roost, imo. Have you seen anything about "Muddy Waters"? I for one love it and am all for it. These Chinese companies are a fucking joke. I mean a real fucking joke. We're "vetting" a couple right now and it's absurd. I'm glad they're getting exposed.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Funny thing about China; they know how much of a sham they are. That is why they are making the necessary purchases now while the hype is up.

Comment

The Chinese shit is really coming home to roost, imo. Have you seen anything about "Muddy Waters"? I for one love it and am all for it. These Chinese companies are a fucking joke. I mean a real fucking joke. We're "vetting" a couple right now and it's absurd. I'm glad they're getting exposed.
                    It is like the wild west over there. Much like the robber baron age of 130 years ago here in the US. How can you have faith in any Chinese company when the government can come in at any time and take over the company, the industry or both? It's absurd.
                    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

It is like the wild west over there. Much like the robber baron age of 130 years ago here in the US. How can you have faith in any Chinese company when the government can come in at any time and take over the company, the industry or both? It's absurd.
                      Muddywaters is fucking phenomenal. An asset management outfit that does the diligence, takes short positions in these shitty Chinese companies, then a couple weeks later exposes the shit out of them. I'm loving it.

Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

How can you have faith in any Chinese company when the government can come in at any time and take over the company, the industry or both? It's absurd.
                        Sounds like the Obamaplan!

Comment

Muddywaters is fucking phenomenal. An asset management outfit that does the diligence, takes short positions in these shitty Chinese companies, then a couple weeks later exposes the shit out of them. I'm loving it.

http://www.muddywatersresearch.com/about/
                          I remember reading about them. They had called seven in a row I think? lol

Comment

Working...
                          X