Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is private vehicle sales tax the same as retail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is private vehicle sales tax the same as retail?

Trying to figure out what my registration is going to cost with this new appraisal @ $3,500, is it 6.25% for private sales also? +40.80? Anyone know?
    Last edited by CJ; 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Yup you pay the state portion 6.25%

Comment

Iirc

$261.75
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

It is based on 80% of the state (assumed) presumptive value at the 6.25%

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          yeah fuck that. I did an appraisal for $3500, they had 11k for my vehicle value.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            so if i legit sell you a vehicle for 5k and the actual value is 10K at any car dealer...you have to pay the 6.25% on the 10k and not the 5k?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
              so if i legit sell you a vehicle for 5k and the actual value is 10K at any car dealer...you have to pay the 6.25% on the 10k and not the 5k?
              Yes, exactly what happened to me. But, I'd you get a dealer to appraise it for less.

Comment

Not sure how that would work or if there are exceptions to an appraisal (I am assuming so since you did). I know if you provide a bill of sale vs the presumptive value they base it off of whichever is higher.
                Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  Yes, exactly what happened to me. But, I'd you get a dealer to appraise it for less.

that is straight fucked up....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
                    that is straight fucked up....
                    Indeed. The greedy fucks in Austin said they were getting screwed - while charging tax on an item that had been taxed before, in some cases several times, and they are in some way getting screwed.

Vehicles should be taxed when bought new, and never again.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
                      Not sure how that would work or if there are exceptions to an appraisal (I am assuming so since you did). I know if you provide a bill of sale vs the presumptive value they base it off of whichever is higher.
                      there are exceptions, one is you get a licensed dealer to appraise the vehicle, and the state says you cannot pay them less than $100 to do it. They they look it over, and tell you what it's worth.

In my case, I bought an 11k Jeep Wrangler for 4k, and it was rolled over and completely trashed. They wanted me to pay tax on 11k. I took it to a dealer friend and he appraised it for $3,500, and that's what I'll pay in taxes, but a huge fucking bitch just to prove it.

Comment

Texas said my Cobra was worth $4,500-5,000. The seller signed the back of the title and put the sale price down as $13,500. Texas of course taxed me on the $13,500. The cracker bitch even laughed when she told me how much and then asked "who pays that much for a car only worth $4,500-5,000?"
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

CJ, I went through the same thing with the 1997. They wanted to tax me on 70% of the appraised value even though it had no motor and would take $2000 to get it to the $2700 they said it was worth. I took it to a dealer who appraised it at $500.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                            Texas said my Cobra was worth $4,500-5,000. The seller signed the back of the title and put the sale price down as $13,500. Texas of course taxed me on the $13,500. The cracker bitch even laughed when she told me how much and then asked "who pays that much for a car only worth $4,500-5,000?"
                            lol @ cracker bitch. Fuck government.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                              Should have retorted with "Probably the same kind of person that pays you twice what you're worth."

Comment

Working...
                              X