Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the quailities in a boss that you like/dislike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the quailities in a boss that you like/dislike?

Iv been a supervisor in various different jobs over the years and Iv found some things that work(imo). What are some thing's y'alls supervisors have done that you liked or made work fun? Or some pet peeves that supervisors do that they shouldn't? Seems like I have a long list of supervisor screw ups but a very short list of good things they did lol.

Dont micromanage.

If your team is getting shit done, don't hover over them, don't schedule pointless meetings, don't ask for constant progress reports, etc. In short, stay out of the way

Comment

I dislike the ones that sit down to pee.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
        Dont micromanage.

If your team is getting shit done, don't hover over them, don't schedule pointless meetings, don't ask for constant progress reports, etc. In short, stay out of the way
        GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Comment

This is going to sound way off but micromanaging made me a better employee and in return a better supervisor and handle tasks better in general.

When you are constantly being hounded for updates and progress reports you learn how to manage time and meet deadlines - unless you have no ambition to do better than what you are currently doing. I looked at it as a challenge and was proactive. Have stuff lined up and ready to go before they could ask for it.

Did I like being micromanaged for those 2-3 years? No, but it made me more productive in my opinion. Did I think about quiting? Yes. But I thinkt he long term result had much more positives than it did negative.

Like I said, odd way of looking at it but I am just speaking from personal experience. I work in a very fast past environment though too, so any dilly dallying is frowned upon even if you get your shit done.

I guess to answer your original question, I would say one of the things I like is the praise. Even during my days of being micromanaged if I received praise on a regular basis for things I excelled at or exceeded expectations, it made being micromanaged a lot easier. It also lets you know you are worth a damn.
          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I manage a group of about 50 field engineers, when time come for a pay raise for one of them, I have them come into the office and we flip a coin to see if they are going to get the raise or not. I'm pretty sure most of them don't like it, but at the end of the day they get the raise they qualify for.
            As for my boss, he likes to have a BBQ every 2nd Friday at the office. We all seem to like him so far.
            I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck

Comment

Good bosses listen to their employees and work with them to get things done, but they don't meddle. In my years in management, the more I was visible in the trenches helping, the more respect I got and my employees worked harder for me.

Buy donuts. Everyone likes donuts.
              Men have become the tools of their tools.
              -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

As long as I don't have to keep making cover sheets for my TPS reports, I am fine.

TBO, I don't mind having a boss involved with what I am doing. But please know how things work before you start asking questions that make no sense.

Comment

My manager is a terrible micromanager. Without going on a rant, that's what I hate the most about her.

Comment

We have meetings occasionally and when we do there is never an outline to follow in the meeting and we end up on the tangent of a tangent of a tangent of a tangent of a tangent.....

It's ridiculous and really the only thing that even remotely irks me about my job.
                    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
                      Buy donuts. Everyone likes donuts.
                      This! It's amazing what $10 in donuts can do for you every couple of weeks.
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Know the peeps that get the work done and who the ass kissers are. We have a few squeaky wheels here that get the grease.

Comment

A good boss will set dates of when things are due and not constantly bug for updates before that time. A good boss will lead the team to success, rather try to "manage" them. A good boss is willing to work with an employee who wants to better themselves (school, certs, etc). A good boss will not try to limit the learning of the employee, as they are scared they might surpass them.

Comment

Dont micromanage.

Spot fucking on! But then, I've come to expect nothing less.

I'd like to add...
                            1. If it ain't broke, don't even try to fix it.
                            2. Don't EVER try to do something the way "we did it at this place I worked at before". If it was so great, you'd still be there!
                            3. If you even catch a hint of a problem, be proactive, but efficient. Go only as far as you need to to rectify the problem but then get out of it.
                            4. Without being everyone's buddy (that undermines your authority), do what you can to make it a place where the employees look forward to coming to work. (As previously mentioned, donuts are always welcome)
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Dont micromanage.

That needs to be every manager's golden rule. Too bad only about 25% of them follow it.

Are you happy with the work that I/we are doing? Yes? Good, then leave me/us the fuck alone.
                              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Working...
                              X