Better than your dad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better than your dad?

With Father's day coming up, it always makes me take stock of my job as dad. If you're a dad, do you think you're better than your old man? My parents got divorced when I was a kid so I have two men I have to measure up to. My real dad is a no-brainer - I learned everything NOT to do from him. The Step dad's a little tougher. He assumed a lot of responsibility that a lot of men wouldn't and I respect him very much for that.

I won't ever be half the man my father is. Not even a fair comparison. He wasn't perfect, and I try to be better in certain areas, but overall, no way. He's accomplished so much, grew up in a completely different time, etc.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I spend everyday trying to be nothing like my dad.
      Originally posted by Sean88gt
      As always, my criticisms should never be taken as if I wouldn't go balls deep in it.

Comment

I try to take my Dads mistakes into account and do better. He is still a great dad, he just made some wrong decisions and hurt my sister and I for a long time.

I probably wouldn't even be talking to my dad if my wife didn't get involved and get us to talk again.

Comment

I hope I could be as good a father as my Dad is, he isn't a very affecionate father but he is a great man and I hope to be as good as him. I think I've done a good job so far.
          Originally posted by Nash B.
          Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

I love my dad but he is a screw up. Both my brother and I have learned a lot from his actions. We live totally different(better) lives because of what we witnessed growing up.
            01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

I grew up from a divorced family, my grandpa taught me everything I needed in life. My real dad, not so much. To this day getting any kind of affection is out of the question. He gives my stepsister and her family, along with my step monsters niece and nephew more affection than he ever did my sister and I. So on that note fuck him!

Oh and I believe I give my kids way more than I recieved.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Love my dad but at the same time I learned from his mistakes and tell my kids daily to do the same with me.

Comment

I learned responsibility and how to work hard from my old man. Other than that I strive to be much better with the kids. Not knocking him but I will not be like him in that way.

So as far as being better... with the way I treat women - yes. With the closeness I have with my kiddos - def yes.

I still loved ya very much dad. Rest in peace

Comment

My dad could be in the ground, and he's still a better man than I, or anyone else walking this earth will ever be. I can only hope to be half of what he is plain and simple. I'm doing very well myself with family, church, work, coaching, etc., but there is no comparison to my father.

For those of you that feel the same way, here is a quote that I'll never forget. When David Robinson was playing ball at Navy and leading them deep in the NCAA tournament, a reporter interviewed him. The reporter was talking about his height and asking him about being taller than his dad. David simply replied, "I'll never be taller than my father."

Comment

My Dad> Me

Comment

Well, I'm not a father yet but considering that my Dad was never there I think it's already a done deal that I'll do a better job..

However it's a whole different story when it comes to my Grandpa. That is the measure I'll have to stand up to when I do become a Dad. He was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                          "I'll never be taller than my father."
                          I feel the same way. The only thing that I can do better than my dad is show my kids affection. Other than that.........nothing.

Comment

The older I get the more I see how badass my dad was/is. I could only hope to be remotely close to what he has been to me in my life.

Comment

I try and follow the role my grandfather set. My dad, I'll just say my grandfather would be ashamed.

Comment

Working...
                              X