Ex-FW police sergeant defends leaving post at jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-FW police sergeant defends leaving post at jail

FORT WORTH — Enjoying long restaurant lunches, working out, spending time at home — these are all things Fort Worth police sergeants are accused of doing when they were supposed to be working at the city jail.

On Monday, News 8 exclusively obtained a police interview with one of the accused men. His explanation? It's been going on for years.

Internal Affairs investigators say three sergeants sometimes arrived hours late, and at other times left hours early, all while continuing to write eight hours down on their time cards.

Sgt. John Ost did not deny it in an interview with Internal Affairs, saying: "...if you were doin' your whole eight hours in the jail for 40 hours, I mean, you're incarcerated just like the prisoners."

Chief Jeff Halstead ordered an investigation after getting an anonymous letter in November. The writer said "It just doesn’t seem right that they can get away with cheating on their time."

Ost's attorney, Terry Daffron Porter says, however, that what Ost and the other sergeants did has been allowed and accepted for years.

“It's my understanding that they were told that they could go work out while they were on duty; that they could take their lunches while they were on duty; in addition to working out and things of that nature,” Porter said.

“And I'll be honest,” said Ost in the recorded interview with Internal Affairs. “I tried to take advantage of it. I mean, I did want to get in better shape. I mean, I lost like 10 pounds when I started getting down at the jail. I was eating better."

Porter represents the three accused supervisors, including Ost. One was demoted, another allowed to resign, and the third, Ost, was fired.

Ost is appealing the decision, and anticipates a hearing later this year.

“I don't believe that it was fair at all, given his history, his 21 years with the Fort Worth P.D.,” Porter said.

A fourth sergeant was admonished after admitting to leaving work early on one occasion.

A Fort Worth Police Department spokesman said the agency has chosen a path of integrity, and will continue to hold officers to the highest standard.

Both the department and Ost say there was always a supervisor in the jail, along with detention officers. The Belknap jail location serves as a holding facility for individuals waiting to be transferred to Mansfield.

LMAO. A forty hour workweek is the same as being a prisoner?
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Paladin?

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
        This. I don't see how getting paid to watch a cage is the same as being in one against your will.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

...well, it depends on the job...

Comment

No shit, I feel incarcerated for 50-60hours a week

Comment

so matt was trying to cover this up with his saving the elderly lady story? for shame!

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                ...well, it depends on the job...
                Yes, I'm in jail right now. I get out @ 5pm.

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                so matt was trying to cover this up with his saving the elderly lady story? for shame!

god bless.
                HAHAHA!
                Ded

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                  Now we know how hes saving all the OT for his kit car, tsk-tsk...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

....are they union?
                    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Ouch sucks for him. 21 years and whats he got to show for it now? I would never think its ok to workout on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                        Ouch sucks for him. 21 years and whats he got to show for it now? I would never think its ok to workout on the clock.
                        If your boss says it's okay, you wouldn't go get your "swole" on?

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                          I know firefighters can. But that's different.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                            Cops, they are the epitome of line crossers, habitual line crossers is what they are, whos going to tell them any different?
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                              Not really lol. Maybe if it was on a break, but I haven't had one of those since I have worked in this field. I workout at home. Have my own little setup and its a way for me to clear my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X