Expo or Tahoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
    Somebody is bitter. Never saw the sparkplug problem on the Expeditions, especially on the new ones. Also, the only consistent A/C problems on them were blend-door actuators going out and creating a thud sound, but that was more '03-'07 or so. Also, that mileage you gave is a little exaggerated on both sides. You're gonna see about 14-15mpg in an Expy and pretty much the same in the Tahoe.
    I'm not bitter, I've never owned either. I probably don't know what I'm talking about though. I just know we constantly have a backlog of 250+ engines for the 3V 5.4s because of core availability due to the spark plugs and cam bore wear but for some reason we can't give away 5.3s. Just talking about reman, on the salvage side it's even worse.

Comment

My MIL went from a 08 expy to a 09 Denali. Both were 2wd and the denali actually got better overall fuel economy. Not only that, it handled better, rode better, and the trade in value was amazing compared to the expedition. She traded it in at the end of last year on a avalanche and it was almost a straight up trade.

I'm a die hard ford guy, but if I'm going gas powered it will be a gm. A good friend had the timing chain in his 07 F150 with 98k miles break a few weeks ago and it wiped out the valves in one head. My brother has a 00 5.3 truck with 260k miles on the original motor, and I know of a ton of other trucks just like that. I don't know of a 5.4 with that kind of miles that hasn't had serious issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        I'm not bitter, I've never owned either. I probably don't know what I'm talking about though. I just know we constantly have a backlog of 250+ engines for the 3V 5.4s because of core availability due to the spark plugs and cam bore wear but for some reason we can't give away 5.3s. Just talking about reman, on the salvage side it's even worse.
        Writing Fords up for a year I never saw one 5.4 blow a spark plug. Plenty of them broke off when people would try to replace them themselves if they didn't know what they were doing. The only engine I saw blow sparkplugs were the 2V 4.6's and I never saw it happen in an Expedition, just a couple of F-150's. Not saying anything bad about the Tahoe, but I can speak from personal experience about common Expedition problems, and the things you spoke of aren't them.
        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Yukon looks way better than the Tahoe. My mom has had an 03 Eddie Bauer Expedition and now has an 08 Yukon LTZ, she likes the Yukon much better. It rides better, looks better and is more comfortable. The one thing she misses about the Expi is the rear seat that folded down flat.

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
            Writing Fords up for a year I never saw one 5.4 blow a spark plug. Plenty of them broke off when people would try to replace them themselves if they didn't know what they were doing. The only engine I saw blow sparkplugs were the 2V 4.6's and I never saw it happen in an Expedition, just a couple of F-150's. Not saying anything bad about the Tahoe, but I can speak from personal experience about common Expedition problems, and the things you spoke of aren't them.
            cam phaser issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
              cam phaser issues?
              Nothing to see here!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                cam phaser issues?
                Again, might just be coincidence, but I never saw that problem on Expy's. Just a couple of F-150's that weren't maintained. Drain the oil and it would be like mud coming out of the pan. I've seen plenty of both F-150's/Expeditions with 200K+ and their owners not getting rid of them because they haven't had any problems with them. Every vehicle is gonna have problems. My stepmoms suburban needed a new tranny at 30k miles, then again at 50k miles, yet my dads Sierra went 260k before the engine finally shitted out on him. Pretty much the same drivetrain.
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I'd go Tahoe. We put nearly 175k on our and changed the front wheel bearings. It ran strong till we sold it, shifted well and held up very good under our abuse (used in the mud, around our property, 3 kids, dogs, trips, etc).

Plus the new ones look amazing.

Comment

Tahoe.

Had a few and a yukon. Loved all of them. Actually considered trading my current silverado in on a new body style

Comment

bro and sis in law have one with over 300k on it. Replaced tranny and still running pretty good.

Comment

Tahoe...

the Expedition is ugly as balls and has the fail modular
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

One of the few times I'd pick a GM product over a Ford product. I've never liked the Expeditions.

Comment

I had a plug blow out on my expy at 102 k,I like tahoe alot more.

Comment

I like the Epeditions. The newer Tahoes look sharp, but when I sat in one I was shocked at how small it was on the inside. Ugly interior, too.

You say you're a big dude, so go sit in each and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                                One of the few times I'd pick a GM product over a Ford product. I've never liked the Expeditions.
                                I agree. I roll around in a Tahoe 12 hours a day and that thing is very comfortable, drives well, and the AC will run you out even with 102 weather and wearing a vest. I absolutley hate Chevrolet after some issue's I had with their vehicles in the past and their service, but so far I have seen no issues with the Ho's.
                                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                                X