Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trying to figure the best way to give notice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, glad it worked out that way for you. I've always read that statistically, counter offers usually don't work out and the employee ends up leaving within a few months.

If it's been a year, i'd say that's all behind you and they're aware of what you bring to the table. Nice going!

Hopefully, later this year I can put some effort into becoming more familiar with VMware. I'm working towards my CCNA at the moment...trying to get out of the System Admin and more into the Network admin side of things.

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
    I gues the main reason is the idiots that use it do not know how to set it up properly. For example, they have an ESX server with 10 images runnng on it, and give each image a fuck-ton of memory and CPU (say the ESX server has 16 cpu's, they give EACH image 16!), thinking they each can use it no matter what. Never mind the fact that when they all are running, the actual ESX server is being pushed to its limits, and then they wonder why shit runs slow...

Or they set up a drive and allocate ALL the space at once, then wonder why the ESX server is out of disk space...

Just general dumbassery really.
    That I can understand...I still struggle with VMware. Of course, I haven't really put 100% into learning it either. I can't seem to get my mind away from the physical server/storage/proc/ram.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      It's amazing how fast they'll be available by phone after you e-mail a resignation letter.
      Heh. That's no joke. I got ahold of my superiors REAL quick when they read my resignation letter a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
        I gues the main reason is the idiots that use it do not know how to set it up properly. For example, they have an ESX server with 10 images runnng on it, and give each image a fuck-ton of memory and CPU (say the ESX server has 16 cpu's, they give EACH image 16!), thinking they each can use it no matter what. Never mind the fact that when they all are running, the actual ESX server is being pushed to its limits, and then they wonder why shit runs slow...

Or they set up a drive and allocate ALL the space at once, then wonder why the ESX server is out of disk space...

Just general dumbassery really.
        The key there is "set it up properly"...

This project I am currently on has two VMware vSphere 4 environments. It was a total cluster fuck when I got there. A mix of several types of hardware, non standard cabling, vmotion and FT was broken. Couldn't use HA or DRS... and as you've mentioned, a fuck ton of VMs that were wayyyyy to big. Oh, and they were using about 5TB of SAN storage without thin provisioning. The SAN guys had configured their arrays for thin provisioning but the VMware guys had provisioned every single VM as thick provisioned, so all the space was used up...

Now I have them on standardized hardware. I sized the memory for each host properly to make a balanced cluster. I have vMotion, FT, DRS, HA, and several other features up and running perfectly. One of the sys admins on the floor accidentally unplugged a rack and the backup power overloaded and failed taking down 3 ESXi hosts. All 50+ VMs were back up and running in about 3 minutes on the other ESXi hosts in the cluster.

I then ran performance reports an every VM and drastically slashed memory usage to them. I was also removing vCPUs from machines that didn't need them.

When I started they were running about 120 VMs and running out of memory space. I added only two new ESXi hosts (and decommissioned several others) but now they have capacity for 300+ VMs. I also have them on an upgrade path to vSphere 5. I'm trying to talk them into using HP blades going forward because there are so many things you can do with blades that stand alone servers don't get right... but that's another story....

Point being, if they half ass it, they will fail...

Comment

My mother in law also works for HP from home in Alabama

Comment

Dropped the bomb this morning. Ironically, a surprise and mandatory department meeting this afternoon. I'm officially a "short timer" and I don't give a fuhhhhhhhhck!!
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Working...
            X