Claimed mileage of Fox bodies for sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claimed mileage of Fox bodies for sale

I have to think that most of the people selling Fox bodies are completely full of shit when it comes to the mileage they are claiming. There seem to be so many of them for sale with claimed 0xx,xxx or 1xx,xxx miles on them.
    It's not like these were Sunday drivers for most folks. Shit, my '84 had 100k on it by '92.
    I can understand that there are some very low mileage cars out there and there are also cars that were daily driven until they broke down and then sat for years before getting put back on the road but I just don't think that is the case with most.
    Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
    Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

I always assume it's 1xx,xxx whenever I see one, if it was really only xx,xxx you would be able to tell.
    Originally posted by Nash B.
    Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

I don't trust the stated mileage on these kinds of cars, generally. It is so easy to swap clusters, etc.

Mine actually does have 130,000 and is an 86. It has been rarely driven about 10 of those years.
      Last edited by mstng86; 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Wait.. are they original miles? Highway miles?
        www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Ran when parked, ac just needs to be charged, highway miles, xxxx invested!, are all pretty much bullshitt to look for that should raise red flags about a seller either being full of crap or trying to up the perceived value of a car that is probably worth less than they are asking. I mean, ran when parked, 30 years ago? Who gives a shit? Does it run NOW?

Comment

My favorite is this.

Does not run but it only needs (insert part name) and is only (insert extremely low price) to fix.

Fix it yourself if it is that cheap and then sell.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

If they are like mine then they might be actual. I've got one that has ran exactly 2 years since it was removed from police service in the mid 90's.

My 91 coupe just started the other day. It hasn't ran but one month in the last 6 years.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Ran when parked, ac just needs to be charged, highway miles, xxxx invested!, are all pretty much bullshitt to look for that should raise red flags about a seller either being full of crap or trying to up the perceived value of a car that is probably worth less than they are asking. I mean, ran when parked, 30 years ago? Who gives a shit? Does it run NOW?
                Exactly. I don't care if it's worth x amount of money if it's running, and all it needs is x part. If your car isn't running, it's automatically worth a substantially smaller amount than one that is running, regardless of how little it will cost to get it running.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                  Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                  My favorite is this.

Does not run but it only needs (insert part name) and is only (insert extremely low price) to fix.

Fix it yourself if it is that cheap and then sell.
                  Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  Exactly. I don't care if it's worth x amount of money if it's running, and all it needs is x part. If your car isn't running, it's automatically worth a substantially smaller amount than one that is running, regardless of how little it will cost to get it running.
                  But, "I've never had the time to fix it, so my loss is your gain!"

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                    If they are like mine then they might be actual. I've got one that has ran exactly 2 years since it was removed from police service in the mid 90's.
                    Yeah and I bet the rings have rusted to the cylinder walls more than once and if you pull the engine apart it'll show some etching. Then again anyone buying a 20 year old car should go into it realizing the mileage is probably wrong and it could need the complete drivetrain overhauled soon.

Comment

Shit, I couldnt honestly tell you how many miles are on my foxbody. The odometer quit working somewhere around 96-97.
                      Vortex rear stand $75
                      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                      11 4 door
                      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

90% of the ones out there have 200k miles

I do have a 1989 GT 87k mile vert sitting my garage Hasnet been driven in 11 years!

Comment

with those 5-digit odometers, everyone on craigslist thinks they have a 50k mile fox...it's funny sometimes.

Comment

i can show you a 43k mile one that looks like it has 12k on it
                            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Originally posted by Grape View Post
                              i can show you a 43k mile one that looks like it has 12k on it
                              I know they're out there, just not as common as for sale ads would lead people to believe.
                              My '85 says 8k and it's in great shape because it was restored but I'd bet its got 208k on it.
                              Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                              Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Working...
                              X