Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Airlines charges soldiers for bags

Yet another reason why Delta sucks!
    They charged a group of 34 soldiers returning from Afghanistan a total of about $2800 for excess baggage. They allow 4 bags for first/business class but only 3 for coach. How many military personnel traveling on orders get first/business class? I'll answer from experience, almost none. So, these folks, traveling in coach with 4 bags, had to pay $200 each to bring their extra bag along. Horseshit!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Doesn't the military pay for flights for active military?

Comment

They pay for the flight, yes. These guys were charged for excess baggage, out of their own pockets.
      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

They will file it on their travel claim and it will be taken care of. If they had a Gov't travel credit card they should have put it on that. (which all mil. are req'd to have I believe I know I do) Really not that big of a deal, unless they had to come out of pocket. But they will still be taken care of.
        04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
        There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

It's bullshit and it is a problem.

The guy should have carried the contents on.

Comment

Originally posted by slowyellow View Post
            They will file it on their travel claim and it will be taken care of. If they had a Gov't travel credit card they should have put it on that. (which all mil. are req'd to have I believe I know I do) Really not that big of a deal, unless they had to come out of pocket. But they will still be taken care of.
            That's what I was thinking would be the case. I know that when comparing AA to Southwest the AA flights are cheaper, but charge for bags, so they usually come out about even when travelling with a single checked bag. My company picks up the bag fee when flying AA.

Comment

This is reaching hard for something to bitch about...did you miss the fact that they were allowed 3 bags already?!

I see nothing wrong here...i have all the respect in the world for troops, but hate when theres a sense of excessive entitlement.

Comment

juicyfizz promoted by Matt Cherette
                Wed 08 Jun 2011 1:52 AM
                I'd like to point out something, from experience, having deployed and redeployed to/from Afghanistan on military orders a few times in my lifetime. These four bags are not a bunch of soldiers' personal items, the majority of it is standard issue equipment that you MUST carry back with you physically (aka you are not allowed by law to mail these items home. many do and these items get lost or stolen and they are charged for it when they clear the unit). Lot of commenters on those YouTube videos acted like they had all this shit like they were trying to live the high life or something. No. Believe me, we'd love to mail that shit home because carrying it from place to place when you're just trying to fucking get home, flying 8 time zones back... we would if we could.

Moreover, when the US military has a contract with an airliner, the airline personnel are briefed on the regulations. The military has already paid Delta for the service that they provided (supposedly 4 bags). We have been in Afghanistan since 2001, with moving pieces for ten years. This isn't something new, Delta. Yes these boys will get reimbursed by the military when they get home but that isn't the point. Deployment pay isn't that much, as much as many people like to think it is. When you go away you still have bills, problems, etc, it isn't like you are sitting there living fat.

In my opinion, Delta stuck it to people who were not going to fight. They wanted to come home to see their families at all costs and Delta knew this. They have already been paid for the services because that is how the contracting business works. Then they made $2,800 more on top of that from this unit, knowing full well they would get reimbursed and knowing full well they would not refuse to fly or pitch a fit cos at that point you are so exhausted and you just want to see your family. It's fucking dirty and it's even dirtier to do it to the brave men and women who go overseas.

Shady.
                2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

I am not even active duty and I never have to pay AA's extra bag fee. The last two times they tried I just pulled out my military ID and orders and they waived it at the counter. The counter has a lot of discretion in their job on what you are charged for and what you are not. My guess is this person was just a bitter bitch. Either way they will be reimbursed.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    This is reaching hard for something to bitch about...did you miss the fact that they were allowed 3 bags already?!

I see nothing wrong here...i have all the respect in the world for troops, but hate when theres a sense of excessive entitlement.
                    Fucking this.
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt4m3x View Post
                      http://gawker.com/5809775/delta-char...om-afghanistan

juicyfizz promoted by Matt Cherette
                      Wed 08 Jun 2011 1:52 AM
                      I'd like to point out something, from experience, having deployed and redeployed to/from Afghanistan on military orders a few times in my lifetime. These four bags are not a bunch of soldiers' personal items, the majority of it is standard issue equipment that you MUST carry back with you physically (aka you are not allowed by law to mail these items home. many do and these items get lost or stolen and they are charged for it when they clear the unit). Lot of commenters on those YouTube videos acted like they had all this shit like they were trying to live the high life or something. No. Believe me, we'd love to mail that shit home because carrying it from place to place when you're just trying to fucking get home, flying 8 time zones back... we would if we could.

Moreover, when the US military has a contract with an airliner, the airline personnel are briefed on the regulations. The military has already paid Delta for the service that they provided (supposedly 4 bags). We have been in Afghanistan since 2001, with moving pieces for ten years. This isn't something new, Delta. Yes these boys will get reimbursed by the military when they get home but that isn't the point. Deployment pay isn't that much, as much as many people like to think it is. When you go away you still have bills, problems, etc, it isn't like you are sitting there living fat.

In my opinion, Delta stuck it to people who were not going to fight. They wanted to come home to see their families at all costs and Delta knew this. They have already been paid for the services because that is how the contracting business works. Then they made $2,800 more on top of that from this unit, knowing full well they would get reimbursed and knowing full well they would not refuse to fly or pitch a fit cos at that point you are so exhausted and you just want to see your family. It's fucking dirty and it's even dirtier to do it to the brave men and women who go overseas.

Shady.
                      That right there is what I'm talking about. Delta knew they would pay it, one way or another. Who gives two shits whether these guys will get reimbursed or not, the problem is that they were stuck have to give cash out of pocket for bags they HAD to bring with them. Delta is screwing the government, and by extension the taxpayer. The contract says 4 bags for troops going to or from a combat zone. These guys weren't just flying for shits-n-giggles.
                      Excessive entitlement? Give me a break! "Sorry sir, I had to leave some of my government issued gear behind because they wanted $200 to put it on the plane. I would have paid it, but my spouse and child had to eat this month".

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

Have you ever tried to live for a year, with only three bags? You do know that one of those four bags was their weapons, right? You do know that at least two of those bags were uniforms and protective gear, right? That is three bags right there. You would call one bag of small personal items excessive entitlement? When was it you were deployed overseas?

Comment

I don't see the issue, they get compensated by the government when they get home. I realize the military doesn't pay that great, but if you can't wait for your $200 to get reimbursed then maybe this issue is managing your finances. If your going to bitch about someone, they should be mad at the government for not paying the fee upfront, not Delta for charging it.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                            I don't see the issue, they get compensated by the government when they get home. I realize the military doesn't pay that great, but if you can't wait for your $200 to get reimbursed then maybe this issue is managing your finances. If your going to bitch about someone, they should be mad at the government for not paying the fee upfront, not Delta for charging it.
                            Did you not read the part about where it is contracted and that Delta has already agreed to four bags?
                            G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                              That right there is what I'm talking about. Delta knew they would pay it, one way or another. Who gives two shits whether these guys will get reimbursed or not, the problem is that they were stuck have to give cash out of pocket for bags they HAD to bring with them. Delta is screwing the government, and by extension the taxpayer. The contract says 4 bags for troops going to or from a combat zone. These guys weren't just flying for shits-n-giggles.
                              Excessive entitlement? Give me a break! "Sorry sir, I had to leave some of my government issued gear behind because they wanted $200 to put it on the plane. I would have paid it, but my spouse and child had to eat this month".
                              Damn you just keep stretching...if a reimbursable 200 made someone coming from duty starve they have bigger problems.

And you better believe that if the government was in fact wrongfully charged for the extra bags...delta will get way more than what's coming to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X