Recommendations for bike racks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for bike racks?

I am looking for a bicycle rack. It needs to be able to fit...

1. Needs to be able to fit and SUV/Minivan
    2. On the back
    3. Without a trailer hitch

So far the ones I am seeing are meant to strap to the trunk of a sedan, use a trailer hitch for mounting, or mount on a roof.

Any suggestions?

I've never used this style but my mounts in my truck are Yakima and they are built well.

Yakima is the world's leading brand of car racks, including roof racks, bike racks, hitch racks, and many more for all of life's adventures.

It doesn't help you, but I just built my own and used the yakima locking mount for the fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      I am looking for a bicycle rack. It needs to be able to fit...

1. Needs to be able to fit and SUV/Minivan
      2. On the back
      3. Without a trailer hitch

So far the ones I am seeing are meant to strap to the trunk of a sedan, use a trailer hitch for mounting, or mount on a roof.

Any suggestions?
      That usually eliminates access to rear cargo door which can be a bitch.

Rear racks that aren't hitch mounted can easily be stolen, and from my previous rack, can do damage to the paint/body.

I think your best bet is a 3 legged adjustable Saris rack. it can flatten out to fit vertically with 6 straps/hooks.

Comment

I had a Yakima Roof Rack for years on several vehicles, but it made so much wind noise on my Durango, I went to a Yakima Hitch rack (a 4 bike one) and won't ever do a roof one again. It's quite, sturdy, and locks in place with the Yakima lock. I know you said no hitch, but I would think about putting one on just for the rack. I don't trust one that slips over the glass and uses straps. I always buy racks from ageebike.com, it used to be 20% off list (I just looked, they're some off but it doesn't look like 20% any more) , plus no tax and free shipping (I think if it's over $200.00). Thay are really great to order from.

Comment

Frank, why no hitch rack?

I've had both kinds... the trunk mount on a car and the hitch mount on the tahoe. I don't think I'll ever have another rack that's not hitch mount.

Comment

I have a Yakima roof rack. It is a great rack. With an SUV though a trailer hitch mount is going to be the best. Preferably one with the bottom channel for the tires to sit in. A roof rack on an SUV will be a pain to get the bikes on and off.

Comment

When I shopped for a bike rack, the guy at the bike store recommended putting the bikes inside the SUV. Roof racks will kill your mpg and require a high end light weight bike. Hitch racks make your bikes all dusty. Having the bikes inside the vehicle also keeps them secure when you stop at the store on the way to or from the trail. Isn't that why we buy SUVs?
              Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                When I shopped for a bike rack, the guy at the bike store recommended putting the bikes inside the SUV. Roof racks will kill your mpg and require a high end light weight bike. Hitch racks make your bikes all dusty. Having the bikes inside the vehicle also keeps them secure when you stop at the store on the way to or from the trail. Isn't that why we buy SUVs?
                This is probable the best ides, just take a 2x4 and bolt a couple of the skewer mounts like are in my toolbox lid then put them inside the SUV.

Comment

I don't currently have a hitch on the Caravan or the Exploder, but given the opinions here I think I will be adding one to the Caravan at least. My bikes are cheap so not worried about wear and tear to them much. I just want to be able to take the family to other areas to ride. I wasn't too comfortable with one that rests on the rear window and hatch though I realize its an added pain if its on the hitch and I need to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    I don't currently have a hitch on the Caravan or the Exploder, but given the opinions here I think I will be adding one to the Caravan at least. My bikes are cheap so not worried about wear and tear to them much. I just want to be able to take the family to other areas to ride. I wasn't too comfortable with one that rests on the rear window and hatch though I realize its an added pain if its on the hitch and I need to get in.
                    If you have beater bikes, a Saris Bones is pretty tough to beat.

Comment

I use a hitch mount 4 bike thule rack on the Lincoln. And a 2x4 with fork mounts in the truck. I have very happy with the thule rack.

Comment

Sportworks hitch mount FTW- it secures the bikes well, built to last, and can fold up at of the way when not in use so you don't have to remove from the vehicle.

Comment

Sportworks hitch mount FTW- it secures the bikes well, built to last, and can fold up at of the way when not in use so you don't have to remove from the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                          X