Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker

I as gonna post this in the food forum but figured I'd just post it here....
    See this hole. That's the hole between my fire box and heat box ( idk wth they're called) I was thinking that the hole is too big because it usually cooks whatever is on that side quicker. Yall think it would be a good idea to have someone weld half of it shut?
    .....bro....

It must be summer. Everyone is talking about smoking food right now.

Maybe you are letting the fire get too hot.

Comment

Looks too open to me also. I'll snap a picture of mine when I get home. IIRC that should be a semicircle, flat on top. Looks like someone took a torch to it. What brand/model smoker is this?
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

It's custom built. I always keep my fire under 300. The food furthest from the hole cooks pretty well, it just sucks that I have to open so much so the closer stuff won't burn. I thought it should be a semi-circle too.
        .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by A+ View Post
          It's custom built. I always keep my fire under 300. The food furthest from the hole cooks pretty well, it just sucks that I have to open so much so the closer stuff won't burn. I thought it should be a semi-circle too.
          Under 300 is too hot, depending on how close to 300. 225 is the optimal temperature in most cases.

Comment

250 is where I usually keep it but I wonder if sealing the top half will effect the way it cooks
            .....bro....

Comment

250 is where I usually keep it but I wonder if sealing the top half will effect the way it cooks
              It will take longer, because you'll want to cut that current hole in half. Stuff on the rack will always cook slightly faster than the stuff at the opposite end, because it is closer to the heat source. However, it should be a huge difference. I'm talking maybe an hour difference tops, on say a 10 hour smoke session.

Comment

Looks like 10 minutes with a piece of sheetmetal and some metal screws will fix that hole

Comment

Originally posted by mikeb View Post
                  Looks like 10 minutes with a piece of sheetmetal and some metal screws will fix that hole
                  I never thought of that...think it'll hold up?
                  .....bro....

Comment

I have a deflector in mine. Will it make a diff? My gut says yes, but this is my first smoker and I rotate the food anyway so who knows for sure.
                    Last edited by bard; 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

I think covering up half the hole would help you keep your temp down. I try to keep my heat +\- 25* of 225 it's not an exact science but it's worked for me.

Comment

Every now and then a flame might pick up and burn char the food closest to the fire. I'll start looking for some one around here to weld something up in there. I don't think something I screw on will hold up to the heat
                        .....bro....

Comment

Every now and then a flame might pick up and burn char the food closest to the fire. I'll start looking for some one around here to weld something up in there. I don't think something I screw on will hold up to the heat
                          I would try some sheet metal first. Whats it going to hurt?

Comment

I had a little talk with a sheet metal friend of mine and he doesn't think it'll hold up too well.
                            .....bro....

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              I would try some sheet metal first. Whats it going to hurt?
                              This. If you use a decent gauge, it should serve the purpose just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X