Rock / Hard Place - Employment Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock / Hard Place - Employment Situation

I know the common joke here at DFWS is that we have experts on everything, well I truly am asking for honest opinons on this as we all at one point or another have seeked/hired on.

I am working for a City here in DFW. I interview over a month ago with another City that paid a bit better (according to their pay scale listed with the posting). After not hearing anything for a while, i went through a direct to hire staffing agency (Robert Half for those who know them) and have now completed the 2nd interview, background check and their personality survey for a company in Las Colinas. There were 4 candidates, now it's down to myself and one other guy. According to RH, I stand heads and shoulders above this guy.

Then my boss gets a call from this City I applied for over a month ago. Not me, my boss...cats out of the bag. He graciously gives me a great review, they offer me employment, I state I need until today (Monday) to decide.

This is where it get's tricky. My handler at RH says I should have my final interview with the CEO of this company on Wed/Thurs and that they will offer me the position right then and there if they like me. This company pays way more than the City does. I don't want to work where I am any more. My boss informed the City Manager/Asst. City Manager that I would more than likely be leaving and they could have cared less....despite I run all City websites/phone databases and recordings/all council video/help desk/public safety technology equipment (Fire Engines/Medics MDC's)

Options? Ask the City for 1 week? Is that too long? Accept the offer but then decline it the Company comes back and offers?

I don't want to blow it, I will work for either, but prefer the Corporation as they pay far more and the jobs is just neater (I'd work in a lab all day, not a cubicle)

Think of where you want to be 5 years from now, take the job that has the best chance of getting you there.

Comment

It would never hurt to ask for a little time. It could mean you're really torn in your decision. The most they can say is no. If not, I would take the job and upgrade while you can. Not much of that happening this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
        It would never hurt to ask for a little time. It could mean you're really torn in your decision. The most they can say is no. If not, I would take the job and upgrade while you can. Not much of that happening this day and age.
        Only issue is the City has no idea of the other offer. Do I fess up and tell them I have another pending job? They might just can me right there and if the corporate falls through, I'm back at square one.

Comment

I have worked on the municipal side before. They have already put some time and money into making their decision and it was more than likely made by a collective group of people. I doubt they just drop you because of that.

Comment

Take the city job, and see how the other interview goes. It's not like you're going to start at the city right this second. If you get the other job, just call the city and tell them that you got a better offer. It's a city, it's not like your leaving someone at the alter.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

The Dog and his Reflection

A Dog, to whom the butcher had thrown a bone, was hurrying home with his prize as fast as he could go. As he crossed a narrow footbridge, he happened to look down and saw himself reflected in the quiet water as if in a mirror. But the greedy Dog thought he saw a real Dog carrying a bone much bigger than his own.

If he had stopped to think he would have known better. But instead of thinking, he dropped his bone and sprang at the Dog in the river, only to find himself swimming for dear life to reach the shore. At last he managed to scramble out, and as he stood sadly thinking about the good bone he had lost, he realized what a stupid Dog he had been.

It is very foolish to be greedy.

Comment

Also foolish to not take advantage of your situation.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

I would go the Corporate route just because of all the cutbacks taking place right now.

Thats just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                    I have worked on the municipal side before. They have already put some time and money into making their decision and it was more than likely made by a collective group of people. I doubt they just drop you because of that.
                    Very appreciative of your input. Interviewing for this particular city was nerve racking. The first interview was clouds and sunshine. Just getting to know me and my background/experience. The second interview was by their IT Director, who was a 14 year veteran of Microsoft. He grilled me for an hour and 40 minutes with some of the hardest questions I have ever had to answer...honestly I thought I blew it...

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                      Very appreciative of your input. Interviewing for this particular city was nerve racking. The first interview was clouds and sunshine. Just getting to know me and my background/experience. The second interview was by their IT Director, who was a 14 year veteran of Microsoft. He grilled me for an hour and 40 minutes with some of the hardest questions I have ever had to answer...honestly I thought I blew it...
                      The more time they spend on you, the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                        Take the city job, and see how the other interview goes. It's not like you're going to start at the city right this second. If you get the other job, just call the city and tell them that you got a better offer. It's a city, it's not like your leaving someone at the alter.
                        The problem with this is you are burning a bridge. I was in a similar situation. Only I had already accepted an offer when another offer came along, but had not yet started. 2nd offer was an hour closer to home, more money, better benefits, and more room for advancement. I had to call up the first place, and tell them an offer came along that I couldn't refuse. Nearly 7 years later, the people who made me the offer at the first place, still won't speak to me. I run in to them all the time. Jobsites, trade shows, our parties, etc. I always walk up, say hello, etc. Both of them will turn and walk off without saying a word. Childish fucks. Neither of them are at that company anymore (they went bankrupt 12 months or so after all that happened, lmfao, because I obviously made the right decision), but due to that, I won't ever be able to work anywhere either of them work.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          The problem with this is you are burning a bridge. I was in a similar situation. Only I had already accepted an offer when another offer came along, but had not yet started. 2nd offer was an hour closer to home, more money, better benefits, and more room for advancement. I had to call up the first place, and tell them an offer came along that I couldn't refuse. Nearly 7 years later, the people who made me the offer at the first place, still won't speak to me. I run in to them all the time. Jobsites, trade shows, our parties, etc. I always walk up, say hello, etc. Both of them will turn and walk off without saying a word. Childish fucks. Neither of them are at that company anymore (they went bankrupt 12 months or so after all that happened, lmfao, because I obviously made the right decision), but due to that, I won't ever be able to work anywhere either of them work.
                          THIS. This is what I am afraid of. Cities are very tight. We have a monthly luncheon where a group of cities all meet for lunch and thinktank issues. If I ever wanted to return to a Municipality, this could bite me in the butt.

Comment

Tell the other city job that you are going on vacation and will talk it over with your spouse (if married) and let them know when you return next week, but you are still very interested in the job.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                              THIS. This is what I am afraid of. Cities are very tight. We have a monthly luncheon where a group of cities all meet for lunch and thinktank issues. If I ever wanted to return to a Municipality, this could bite me in the butt.
                              Then ask for a couple of days to think about it. If they say no then tell them the truth and hope for the best.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                              X