Rock / Hard Place - Employment Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    The problem with this is you are burning a bridge. I was in a similar situation. Only I had already accepted an offer when another offer came along, but had not yet started. 2nd offer was an hour closer to home, more money, better benefits, and more room for advancement. I had to call up the first place, and tell them an offer came along that I couldn't refuse. Nearly 7 years later, the people who made me the offer at the first place, still won't speak to me. I run in to them all the time. Jobsites, trade shows, our parties, etc. I always walk up, say hello, etc. Both of them will turn and walk off without saying a word. Childish fucks. Neither of them are at that company anymore (they went bankrupt 12 months or so after all that happened, lmfao, because I obviously made the right decision), but due to that, I won't ever be able to work anywhere either of them work.
    Next time you see them, ask then if they like birds.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
      Tell the other city job that you are going on vacation and will talk it over with your spouse (if married) and let them know when you return next week, but you are still very interested in the job.
      Oddly enough I leave for San Francisco this weekend and then fly to Cozumel to vacation for all of next week...

General Consensus is "ask for more time". I am not going to mention a time line, I should be done with the final Corporate interviews by Friday and know exactly what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
        THIS. This is what I am afraid of. Cities are very tight. We have a monthly luncheon where a group of cities all meet for lunch and thinktank issues. If I ever wanted to return to a Municipality, this could bite me in the butt.
        You don't have to tell them about the second offer. Tell them this is a huge undertaking, you and your wife need a little more time to make the decision that is best for your family. That's how I'd do it. That's not how I did it back when my situation was going on. lol

I didn't exactly go about mine the right way. I literally got the second offer the day before I was supposed to start. I'm not trying to discourage you from ANY decision, just saying be cautious as to how you handle it, and do everything in your power to lessen the sting. Apparently some people take that shit personally. lol.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Ask for more time, the worst they can say is no. Then go from there..don't tell them about the other offer.
          Big Rooster Racing
          85' Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Ask for some time from the city making the offer. I've screwed myself before trying to be loyal and do the right thing. Later, when there was an issue where I thought the city would remember my loyalty, they didn't. I got it with no kiss or lube.

What I'm saying is do what's best for YOU.

Comment

Do what is best for you. Ask for time but there is no loyalty. It is just you and your best interest. If you can fit their interest in too, that's great, but they aren't thinking of you, just what you can do for them. At least that's how I see it. I have been bit by more than one in the past five years so I might have a poor attitude.

You do what is best, and if that is the money, I say you need to peruse it. Don't burn any bridges and you won't please everyone.
              Rich

Comment

Take the city job, and see how the other interview goes. It's not like you're going to start at the city right this second. If you get the other job, just call the city and tell them that you got a better offer. It's a city, it's not like your leaving someone at the alter.

+1 this!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasT View Post
                  Do what is best for you. Ask for time but there is no loyalty. It is just you and your best interest. If you can fit their interest in too, that's great, but they aren't thinking of you, just what you can do for them. At least that's how I see it. I have been bit by more than one in the past five years so I might have a poor attitude.

You do what is best, and if that is the money, I say you need to peruse it. Don't burn any bridges and you won't please everyone.
                  That Texas "T" better stand for titties noob!
                  Originally posted by Nash B.
                  Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                    I like the way you think.
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

G'Day Mate

Comment

Which has the best heath plans/retirement plans? I bet the city does.
                        You may think the corporate pays more, but buy the time insurance and such comes out of your check it may not pay out.
                        Also, corporate rarely has a true retirement plan. Cities do.

Cities usually have accrued vacation/sick/personal/family illness days. And you get to take them when you need them without someone crawling up your ass.

Factor in travel costs. Job "A" may pay more, but you burn up your pay increase in gas.

Comment

I'll throw another wrench into the mix by telling you to be very careful with how much trust you place in your recruiter at Robert Half. There are some very shady folks in that line of work. Good ones, too, but just take what they say with a grain of salt. I don't doubt for a second that he wants you to get the job, but he may be fluffing you up just a bit on how likely it is just to keep you on the hook until a decision is actually made. On the other hand, he could be 100% honest and legit. It's about 60/40 between honest recruiters and bullshitters.

Good luck either way!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                            I played that already and some how I got all my posts deleted. What's the story with that?
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              I'll throw another wrench into the mix by telling you to be very careful with how much trust you place in your recruiter at Robert Half. There are some very shady folks in that line of work. Good ones, too, but just take what they say with a grain of salt. I don't doubt for a second that he wants you to get the job, but he may be fluffing you up just a bit on how likely it is just to keep you on the hook until a decision is actually made. On the other hand, he could be 100% honest and legit. It's about 60/40 between honest recruiters and bullshitters.

Good luck either way!
                              My wife landed a hell of a gig with Rave motion pictures through RH last December. There was also a lady working temp in the same office (basically my wife replaced her) who has been with RH for a decade or more and was friends with my wife. RH is one of the better head hunters out there IMO.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Well, at least the advice wasn't 100% garbage. Better than I expected, honestly.
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X