2nd floor apartment and aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd floor apartment and aquarium

Would the floor of a 2nd floor apartment support a 90-105 gallon tank?

One way to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
      One way to find out.
      That's typically how I learn

Comment

yes it will.

Comment

Aquariums up to 55 gallons can be placed almost anywhere without much worry at all. Many tanks larger than 55 gallons and no more than 125 gallons will be okay, if they are placed in a good structural location and your floor framing is free from significant defects. For example, a 125 gallon tank, on a wooden stand, placed perpendicular to the joists up against a bearing wall, will often be okay without any additional structural support. If your tank is over 125 gallons, then it is likely that you should consider adding supports under your wood framed floor. Please realize that these are generalities that may or may not apply to your particular situation.

"RENTER's INSURANCE"

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
            Aquariums up to 55 gallons can be placed almost anywhere without much worry at all. Many tanks larger than 55 gallons and no more than 125 gallons will be okay, if they are placed in a good structural location and your floor framing is free from significant defects. For example, a 125 gallon tank, on a wooden stand, placed perpendicular to the joists up against a bearing wall, will often be okay without any additional structural support. If your tank is over 125 gallons, then it is likely that you should consider adding supports under your wood framed floor. Please realize that these are generalities that may or may not apply to your particular situation.

"RENTER's INSURANCE"

Who are you and what have you done with our lincolnboy?
            G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post

"RENTER's INSURANCE"
              Nice info, thanks. Yeah I bought insurance last week.

Comment

I accidentally put on my reading glasses.

Comment

Learn from my mistake and make sure your air pumps have a back up preventer on them. My 30 gallon tank drained quite a bit into the vacant apartment down stairs. If you keep them elevated above your tank you should not have the problem.

Comment

Are you talking about powerheads? If so I would have them a tad under the surface of the water.

What exactly happened?

Comment

Who gives a shit, thats the people below you's problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                        Are you talking about powerheads? If so I would have them a tad under the surface of the water.

What exactly happened?
                        No not a power head. Its the simple pump that you add an air stone to use for your under gravel filter via the 1/4" tubing. If you have it sitting for instance on a table to the side of the tank below water level it can start sucking water up and cause major headaches. On new pumps they have a back up block (for lack of a better word) that prevents this. I had an older one and I noticed that my tank was about 3 inches low. I filled it up and overnight it was back down. The carpet all around the tank was completely dry because the maintenance guys came in to check my dish washer for leaks and we could not figure it out. Well it turned out to be the pump dripping away to a very small spot that leaked straight through to the bottom floor and destroyed the ceiling. I had to pay $250 for that malfunction.

Comment

Originally posted by ARIX View Post
                          No not a power head. Its the simple pump that you add an air stone to use for your under gravel filter via the 1/4" tubing. If you have it sitting for instance on a table to the side of the tank below water level it can start sucking water up and cause major headaches. On new pumps they have a back up block (for lack of a better word) that prevents this. I had an older one and I noticed that my tank was about 3 inches low. I filled it up and overnight it was back down. The carpet all around the tank was completely dry because the maintenance guys came in to check my dish washer for leaks and we could not figure it out. Well it turned out to be the pump dripping away to a very small spot that leaked straight through to the bottom floor and destroyed the ceiling. I had to pay $250 for that malfunction.
                          Ouch, never thought about that, I haven't messed with undergravel filters since my first time messing with aquariums. They are effective just don't like the pillars on the back.

Comment

I had a 250 saltwater but was on a ground floor. I had it up for 4 years, and after the 1st year i knew it was a mistake and should have waited.

I highly recommend not getting any large aquarium in an apartment. When you move - and you will - it'll be one of the biggest pains in the ass you can ever dream of. Add an additional PITA factor for a second floor.

Water changes are going to be a bitch - i had my own RODI unit and was able to handle some of it, but i also had heavy evaporation which added to the problem. When you have a major evemt, and you will, youre gonna flood the people below you. If your apartment has rules about fish tanks, renters insurance may not help you either.

Technically the apt floor will support the weight butreLly rhink about how long you are going to be there. If you arent planning for over 5 years, just wait until you get a house.
                            Last edited by Binky; 06-05-2011, 08:39 PM. Reason: I fucking hate typing on my ipad.

Comment

90g x 8lbs/gal = 720+100lbs stand and what not... round it up to 900lbs

900lbs x 6sq ft (18x48) = 150lbs/sq ft. Shouldnt be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X