Drag radials....? Which ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag radials....? Which ones?

So we are looking to put some drag radials on the Grand National...it needs traction BAD as the BFG radial T/A's that are on it s-u-c-k.

Car is likely making 500 ft/lbs of torque and builds boost pretty abruptly. Will disentigrate the tires in second gear from a 20 roll. Will not likely ever see rain but want something that hooks well cold and might last a while.

BFG? Nitto? Mickey Thompson?

Post experience. Size likely a 235/60/15 on the stocker 7.5" rims...but may be looking for something wider as traction is very limited.

FWIW you can comfortably put a 255/60/15 on a 7" wheel.

You might be able to get away with a 275/60/15 on the 7.5"
    G'Day Mate

Comment

like said above do the 255's/ i did on my 95 gt and they worked great. i assume you had the 94-95 waffle wheels like i did.

Comment

Mt et street radial.

No more spinning.
        2014 GT
        2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by Damnittsteve View Post
          like said above do the 255's/ i did on my 95 gt and they worked great. i assume you had the 94-95 waffle wheels like i did.
          Reading owns you...not a mustang.

235 is about all I can do without going to custom wheel offsets to clear stuff on the inside of the wheel well. I could probably do longer studs and spacers though as there is like 3" out to the fender!

Anyone use the Goodyears yet?

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post

235 is about all I can do without going to custom wheel offsets to clear stuff on the inside of the wheel well. I could probably do longer studs and spacers though as there is like 3" out to the fender!

oh its going on a slow buick? just use nittos haha

Comment

Hmm, really? I'd assume most all g-bodies have similar if not the same rear wheel well. Malibu guys run 275's (super tight) all the time. I run 255's on a 7'' wheel, and I have some 26x10.5 MT ET's on a 8'' wheel too.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                Hmm, really? I'd assume most all g-bodies have similar if not the same rear wheel well. Malibu guys run 275's (super tight) all the time. I run 255's on a 7'' wheel, and I have some 26x10.5 MT ET's on a 8'' wheel too.
                Rear seats have aftermarket shoulder belts installed for the kiddo. The backing plate and bolts are in the wheel well and are only about 1/2" from the tires. if those weren't there, 275's would probably work fine, but the belts aren't coming out....long story.

Comment

M/T.

Nittos are trash on cars with power.

I've seen BFGs stick well too, odd you're having issues.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                    M/T.

Nittos are trash on cars with power.

I've seen BFGs stick well too, odd you're having issues.
                    tires on the car are NOT drag radials but the cheapest tire known to man...the radial T/A. With the rear control arm improvements, these tires are CRAP!

Comment

Car is likely making 500 ft/lbs of torque and builds boost pretty abruptly. Will disentigrate the tires in second gear from a 20 roll. Will not likely ever see rain but want something that hooks well cold and might last a while.

BFG? Nitto? Mickey Thompson?

Post experience.
                      My vote would be the M/T's.

I've run all 3 over the years but the BFG's were about 15 to 20 years ago when they first came out. I'd say they worked better than a regular street tire but then again, my car wasn't much.

Nitto's were ok but the M/T's proved to be better at the track and on the street. I even stepped down in size with the M/T. 315 to a 275. But remember the Nitto's run narrow so it wasn't really that big of a step.

They both do well in the rain and even the snow if you drive per the conditions.

Comment

M/T Drag radials hands down, either the 236/60's or the 255/60's. I run them on my Datsun and love them.

Comment

So where's the best price in town on these M/T drag radials? I'm also looking to get a set.

Comment

Not sure anymore, used to get them from Carless Chris but he is out of the game from what I hear.

Comment

Go with the Nitto...cobraboy can't even spin his with the fo five sixes.
                              G'Day Mate

Comment

Working...
                              X