Career paths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GE View Post
    Just because someone's a lawyer doesn't mean they make good coin. Most of them do "alright" but aren't banking like you think they would.
    Im sure most of them do better than "alright". A few close family friends are lawyers and they're all very well off. Guess it depends on what kind of law you decide to practice.

Comment

Overweight house husband or armbar expert perhaps?

Comment

Go undeclared and use your freshmen and part of your 2nd year to take varying electives and get a feel for what you might be interested in. I will say this unless you're COMMITTED to the idea of law school or graduate school period stay away from liberal arts and useless science degrees. BBA's and BS in Engineering are always safer tracks for job security if you decided you want to stop after degree 1. If you like working with auto's and other things I'd look into engineering. If you're smart enough to get into college and have the means to finance it without getting into a metric shit ton of debt don't sell yourself short by becoming a grease monkey because A) a fuckload of trade school grads end up not doing shit and B) the only people that wrench on cars their entire life either LOVE it like a passion or hate it and just don't have the means or ability to do anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
          Im sure most of them do better than "alright". A few close family friends are lawyers and they're all very well off. Guess it depends on what kind of law you decide to practice.

Has a lot to do with that, but also has a lot to do with how competent you are to begin with. Not in law, necessarily. But in life as well. I've met some real fucking idiots that are attorneys. Most turn out to be ambulance chasers. Not that you can't do well in that area, you can. Just seems most of the dumbasses that are attorneys are drawn to ambulance chasing or bullshit criminal cases. By bullshit, I mean dirt cheap, because they can't win, practicing for the real scum of the earth. As in, someone you'd meet on the steps of Lew Sterrett after being released. lmao. Some of those guys sit there and wait for a potential customer to walk out. No lie!
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
            Just because someone's a lawyer doesn't mean they make good coin. Most of them do "alright" but aren't banking like you think they would.
            The market is flooded with lawyers and schools are producing more than are retiring or moving into differing careers. Unless you're tops out of your class or come from one of the top schools you won't be getting a ballin ass job right off the bat. Add that in with most people getting into a fuck load of debt and not getting those 120-250k jobs to start and the practice of law starts to look less glamorous, to me anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Has a lot to do with that, but also has a lot to do with how competent you are to begin with. Not in law, necessarily. But in life as well. I've met some real fucking idiots that are attorneys. Most turn out to be ambulance chasers. Not that you can't do well in that area, you can. Just seems most of the dumbasses that are attorneys are drawn to ambulance chasing or bullshit criminal cases. By bullshit, I mean dirt cheap, because they can't win, practicing for the real scum of the earth. As in, someone you'd meet on the steps of Lew Sterrett after being released. lmao. Some of those guys sit there and wait for a potential customer to walk out. No lie!
              I though that went without saying lol. Those guys are dirtbags.

Comment

If you have an "in" in the law industry, go with that. Use the resources you have unless you're just crazy passionate about something.
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                  HAHA me and a good friend dave used to get called that by all the hoes, be a pilot. WE have all the fun. Helicopters that is
                  Fuck ya... rotary is where it's at!

Comment

You're still a kid. Take some time to travel and learn who you are before you get sold on what a guidance counselor tells you what you should pursue for the next 50 years.

Can you see yourself wrenching on a car for income sake at 65? And law has a lot of fields that many people don't know about. There are a lot of opportunities to make big money in law but you have to be aggressive. A ton of people have graduated with law degrees and seemingly waited for work to come to them while they still live at home with their parents.

Comment

Join the Army, figure out a few things, try different stuff and then go to college after a 3-4 year enlistment.

I always thought it was strange kids going straight to college after High School. There are so many choices out there, how the hell are you supposed to know what you want to be right out of high school? Hell, right out of high school, besides joining the military my biggest goal was to be a McDonalds manager!

Little did I know my real career was in IT doing networking and a 1001 other things. At least in the military or other options that allow you to SEE other people doing different jobs - you can get an idea what the different career paths can do. Interested in being a lawyer, JAG - thinking about mech work...plenty of choices there...etc...etc.

I've seen more then not, go through college and then end up doing something totally different. Granted, that paper helps still - but not as much as it could.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

college was such a waste but at least it was fun.
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Ticket/Traffic lawyer! You would be rich if you advertised here in no time with all the dipshits we have breaking the law!
                          Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                          Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Law vs. Mechanic? Really?

Like was mentioned; Dr. and Law are very stable fields but they take a lot of work, money, and patience to get there. And neither of them are 100% to end you up with a garage full of cars. Both Law and Med have different fields that make vastly different incomes. Just because you are a doctor or a lawyer doesn't mean you are going to ball outta control.

Sell Drugs. Problem Solved.

Comment

Mechanical or Electrical Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                                Join the Army, figure out a few things, try different stuff and then go to college after a 3-4 year enlistment.

I always thought it was strange kids going straight to college after High School. There are so many choices out there, how the hell are you supposed to know what you want to be right out of high school? Hell, right out of high school, besides joining the military my biggest goal was to be a McDonalds manager!

Little did I know my real career was in IT doing networking and a 1001 other things. At least in the military or other options that allow you to SEE other people doing different jobs - you can get an idea what the different career paths can do. Interested in being a lawyer, JAG - thinking about mech work...plenty of choices there...etc...etc.

I've seen more then not, go through college and then end up doing something totally different. Granted, that paper helps still - but not as much as it could.
                                ^^ THIS!

Comment

Working...
                                X