No announcement yet.

Career paths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as said above... find something you love to do and be the best you can at it, and you will be successful
    first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
      Get a Elementary Education Degree and try to meet a sugar mama in college.
      Or go nursing, I had to walk by the nursing school every morning and it sure made me wish I was going there.

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
        Law vs. Mechanic? Really?

Like was mentioned; Dr. and Law are very stable fields but they take a lot of work, money, and patience to get there. And neither of them are 100% to end you up with a garage full of cars. Both Law and Med have different fields that make vastly different incomes. Just because you are a doctor or a lawyer doesn't mean you are going to ball outta control.

Sell Drugs. Problem Solved.
        I think this speaks to his age and lack of experience. It's a pretty wide gap in options.

Comment

I disagree with everyone on all this take your time or feel college out bullshit. You have to have a goal to work towards or you won't make it. My girlfriend, as well as many friends took the route of feeling college out and just about all have dropped out or regretted going in without a goal.

I picked the field with the highest paying 4 yr degree when I was in highschool and just stuck to it. I couldn't be happier with that decision. Because now that I'm making decent money on something I can tolerate, I'm also able to go back to school. I am actually getting a masters in engineering management because I don't wantto stay technical later in my career. I still wish I had the money to have been a plastic surgeon however.

If you lolligag around you will take longer in college and probably settle for the easier shut. And don't forget how hard it is to find a job out of college now. You HAVE to har connections or internships.

Comment

What are your interests? What are your academic strengths and weaknesses?
            I went to college straight out of high school and got a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I didn't really understand the differences in engineering specialties going in and based on the jobs that were available when I graduated and how much different disciplines pay I might have had a different focus. I graduated from college in '97 so I'm sure the job market looks different now but back then Civil, Electrical, and Telecom had more opportunities and paid better.
            If you are technical and interested in law I have some friends with engineering degrees that are corporate lawyers and they make bank.
            Most of the mechanics I know who've been doing it for a while don't feel like working on their own cars because their job makes them sick of wrenching.
            Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
            Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

You could always become an engineer and instead of working on cars you could design them or design aftermarket parts. You could also become an engineer and then go into patent law.

Don't think that the only way of making a career around the automotive industry is to become a grease monkey.
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

I suggest becoming a stay at home mom.

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                  college was such a waste but at least it was fun.
                  What was your degree?
                  www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                    What was your degree?
                    business administration, mis.
                    www.hppmotorsports.com
                    ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
                      business administration, mis.
                      My degree was not a waste but it was not much fun.

The degrees that generally allow more time for the "fun" side of college usually have a higher tendancy to be a waste of time and money. Not saying you can not have fun when picking a harder degree, it is just not as easy.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Stay the fuck out of construction. There's enough of us already.

I have a B.S in Construction Science and I sell overhead bridge cranes for a living.

Got laid off from my first gig after college in 3 mo. Spent almost 3 yrs at a very nice company and got laid off last October, pulled a dammitsteve and lived off the man for 6 mo and couldn't find shit in the industry.

Here I am selling cranes and loving it, but it's not what I went to school for.

You've gotta be somewhat open to change in the market, unless its a prof degree (CPA, MBA, Law, shit like that) then just because you have the paper doesnt mean you'll work in the field.
                        G'Day Mate

Comment

At first I wanted to be a technician at a stealership, so I went to school for it, learned all I could possibly learn and decided working on other people's junk was not for me. I absolutely love working on my car, and helping friends fix theirs. But when it's not mine and it turns out to be a PITA I loose my patience easily.

I love outdoors, I loved working for the state park during high school. Was a lot of landscaping and plumbing and electrical work which I was good at because my dad is a licensed new construction plumber, so I had already known how to do it.

Ive always wanted to be a state trooper, I love the black/white cars, and I could sport the hat with ease, and Id love to patrol the highways of Texas and bust all the dumbasses like myself, but I would most likely be a dick head.. So.. I though of being a state park police, or something along the lines of that but here lately law enforcement is more and more not what I want.

Then I started working at the zone. Pretty fun job, I have the people skills and almost enough information on hand to help customers, I had good work ethic and busted my ass so they made me a manager (grey shirt). I'd love to stay with the zone and work my way up into higher positions, but idk.. I think I might let life takes me where it takes me.

Cliffnotes: you will always change your mind, just learn along the way and it will eventually make sense, and when it does take that path. Dont make the decision based on income, but dont leave it out of the equation either.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                            At first I wanted to be a technician at a stealership, so I went to school for it, learned all I could possibly learn and decided working on other people's junk was not for me. I absolutely love working on my car, and helping friends fix theirs. But when it's not mine and it turns out to be a PITA I loose my patience easily.

I love outdoors, I loved working for the state park during high school. Was a lot of landscaping and plumbing and electrical work which I was good at because my dad is a licensed new construction plumber, so I had already known how to do it.

Ive always wanted to be a state trooper, I love the black/white cars, and I could sport the hat with ease, and Id love to patrol the highways of Texas and bust all the dumbasses like myself, but I would most likely be a dick head.. So.. I though of being a state park police, or something along the lines of that but here lately law enforcement is more and more not what I want.

Then I started working at the zone. Pretty fun job, I have the people skills and almost enough information on hand to help customers, I had good work ethic and busted my ass so they made me a manager (grey shirt). I'd love to stay with the zone and work my way up into higher positions, but idk.. I think I might let life takes me where it takes me.

Cliffnotes: you will always change your mind, just learn along the way and it will eventually make sense, and when it does take that path. Dont make the decision based on income, but dont leave it out of the equation either.
                            You point out the differences between a career and a job.
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                              You point out the differences between a career and a job.
                              All I want to do is get 5 Lincoln Mark Viiis and rob 18 wheelers full of VCRs are CRT computer screens.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                                All I want to do is get 5 Lincoln Mark Viiis and rob 18 wheelers full of VCRs are CRT computer screens.
                                Now we are talking.
                                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                                X