Career Path Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Path Decision

I am not one to post about my job or any detail pertaining to my personal life but I am going to make an exception.

Earlier this year I was promoted with a raise (sort of) and some additional perks. In parallel with that I have been looking for the next step. I have been chasing a position that doesn't frequently have openings and I love to do - I have actual experience in. However, more recently I was called asking if I was interested in another position.

Both of these are HUGE new roles for me and would be a huge step in the right direction.

Job 1: Job 1 is the position I have been chasing as I love the change and challenges. Would require travel atleast 50% of the time and possibly work from home or commute 80 miles round trip to the office. Pay is unknown at this time but should be significant. Responsibilities: transition full fledge services for service desks, network, telephony, staffing, knowledge, training etc. It would require a lot of 'negotiating' with high level people such as Director's and possibly even a Cheif of some sort.

Job 2: A job I used to tell myself I never wanted as you are pretty much the face off to the client and all escalations and issues are syphoned through you. I would have a nice office at Alliance Airport which the commute would be less than 10 miles total. Responsbilities would be something along the lines of overseeing escalations, and to a point operations over an entire infrastructure ie networking, desktop, and service desk. There are monthly meetings of service level updates to CIO of a very large company.

The second is not ideal, but I am to the point of wanting to advance and want a new challenge. Anything to get me in the spot light and show my company what I am about to set my foundation even more in this company is what I am looking for. Both jobs require a LOT of hours and responsibility.

They each have there ups and downs such as travelling, less commute etc. My company is very fast paced and don't stick around for people who can't make fast decisions, so when the time is ready I want to be able to chose one. Pay is unknown for either one so I am going strictly off of what I posted.

I will be happy with either one, but I am trying to look at the larger area for additional growth.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

I'd go with Job #2. Traveling is fun at first... then after a few months it becomes a burden. Well that how it was for me. 80 miles commute? Fuck that!

Comment

Are you wanting to travel? 50% is a lot, especially if you have a family life. Having an office means you would be noticed a lot more (out of sight, out of mind), and your work would be more noticeable. As a younger man, I traveled about 30%, and it just wasn't me.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
        I'd go with Job #2. Traveling is fun at first... then after a few months it becomes a burden. Well that how it was for me. 80 miles commute? Fuck that!
        I travel quite a bit as it is. A few weeks here, a month here, two months there. It adds up but probably isn't 50% and I don't mind it. It is about 60-80 miles, somewhere in there. From TMS to Coppel.

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        Are you wanting to travel? 50% is a lot, especially if you have a family life. Having an office means you would be noticed a lot more (out of sight, out of mind), and your work would be more noticeable. As a younger man, I traveled about 30%, and it just wasn't me.
        Not necessarily. The travel is for new business so if things go well with new business you get HUGE recognition, usually from the VP level. If they go south, well then, you got some 'splainin to do!
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

id go with #1. #2 sounds like id end up stabbing someone in the face and i dont want to have to do that.....
          .....bro....

Comment

If you don't mind the travel, go with #1.

Comment

Don't settle, go for the job you really wanted in the first place.
              QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Working...
              X