Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did FedEx get cheaper then the post office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to ship a small package, 1.5lbs, at FedEx. No shit she came back and said $14. I said nevermind, her response was to take it to the post office, it is cheaper. Was $6 at the post office.
    Oversized, tires and shit like that, FedEx is a lot cheaper. The typical shit I ship USPS is cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      Anything of importance can't be tracked with the USPS.
      Are you sure? Here is tracking on an item to the UAE. Not a fan of USPS, but there are services with decent tracking available. This was a signature service. 7 days from DFW to Abu Dhabi for ~$60 bucks isn't bad. Think this one was 17x15x13 and about 6-8lbs.
      Label/Receipt Number: EC71 9883 678U S
      Class: Express Mail International®

Your item was delivered in UNITED ARAB EMIRATES at 5:00 pm on May 23, 2011.

Enter Label/Receipt Number.

Detailed Results:

Delivered Abroad, May 23, 2011, 5:00 pm, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      At Foreign Delivery Unit, May 23, 2011, 7:58 am, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      Attempted Delivery Abroad, May 22, 2011, 8:29 am, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      Out of Foreign Customs, May 22, 2011, 2:54 am, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      Arrived Abroad, May 22, 2011, 1:45 am, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
      International Dispatch, May 17, 2011, 7:15 pm, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
      Arrival
      Processed through Sort Facility, May 16, 2011, 7:51 pm, FORT WORTH, TX 76161
      Processed through Sort Facility, May 16, 2011, 7:10 pm, FORT WORTH, TX 76118
      Electronic Shipping Info Received, May 16, 2011

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      This is the truth. Paid a butload to send some stuff to Australia and they were like ok thanks we hope it gets there, and by boat no less. Fed EX has been cheaper for a while now.
      Shipping internationally by surface, shit, when is that going to get there, in two months?

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
      I went to ship a small package, 1.5lbs, at FedEx. No shit she came back and said $14. I said nevermind, her response was to take it to the post office, it is cheaper. Was $6 at the post office.
      Oversized, tires and shit like that, FedEx is a lot cheaper. The typical shit I ship USPS is cheaper.
      For $14 it will get there in two-three business days. USPS surface services could take two weeks depending on distance and package size. More of a fair comparison would be a USPS priority service vs. ups/fedex ground.

Fed ex/ups has faster ground service, generally better tracking, and their insurance will cover you on loss/damage unless you packed the item really poorly.

There are pros/cons to all of them, but I prefer not to use USPS except for international shipping. Like someone mentioned, if you ship often, get an account and it's not hard to get to some big discounts.
      US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

packages and freight went up because they wouldn't allow the USPS to raise stamp prices. Congress also hasn't removed the requirement of prefunding retirement benefits to the tune of $5B a year...guess how much the USPS is in the hole...? $5B. USPS has overpaid nearly $40B into the federal retirement fund and congress won't pay it back, yet wants USPS to keep overpaying. PMG said a couple weeks ago "fine, we just won't pay it since we have no cash. We have to make payroll before we pay retirment benefits."

USPS is screwed. They have made sweeping changes for efficiency and energy savings...but it just isn't enough. It's infrastructure and overhead costs are just too great for a shrinking business. Many PO's are going to be closing over the next 5 years in an effort to reduce costs. Hopefully, it will help.

BTW...USPS delivers about 30% of UPS and Fedex ground packages in trade for spots on UPS and Fedex Aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
          packages and freight went up because they wouldn't allow the USPS to raise stamp prices. Congress also hasn't removed the requirement of prefunding retirement benefits to the tune of $5B a year...guess how much the USPS is in the hole...? $5B. USPS has overpaid nearly $40B into the federal retirement fund and congress won't pay it back, yet wants USPS to keep overpaying. PMG said a couple weeks ago "fine, we just won't pay it since we have no cash. We have to make payroll before we pay retirment benefits."

USPS is screwed. They have made sweeping changes for efficiency and energy savings...but it just isn't enough. It's infrastructure and overhead costs are just too great for a shrinking business. Many PO's are going to be closing over the next 5 years in an effort to reduce costs. Hopefully, it will help.

BTW...USPS delivers about 30% of UPS and Fedex ground packages in trade for spots on UPS and Fedex Aircraft.
          Congress is raiding that even as we speak....

Comment

Speaking of FedEx, I just recently noticed the arrow in their logo. I guess I'm a rehab or something, because I've seen it a million times.

Comment

Working...
            X