Help me pick a good grown up car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
    Not a fan of the mazda's. I can send you a pic of the last mazda 6 I drove. Left it on the side of the highway in flames waiting on the fire department to put it out.
    What caused the fire?

Comment

Not sure exactly, it was a buddies car. Had less than 60k on it and had 2 transmissions and an engine installed at McKinney Mazda. Only time I ever saw an aftermarket warranty pay of. Something in the engine compartment lit off, melted the carbon fiber hood it had, burnt most all the top of the engine(plastic and aluminum), melted the lower part of the windshield and a little of the dash. The fire department got there pretty quick and did a nice job putting it out. He called his insurance company and told them their car caught on fire.
      Last edited by shumpertdavid; 12-11-2011, 02:30 PM.

Comment

My dad has worked for David McDavid Acura in Plano for 15+years in used cars. Feel free to call him and tell him to keep his eye out for a clean low mileage TL in your price range. I know they got one in a few weeks ago. It was a one owner '99 TL with 75k miles and I think they were trying to get like $8k for it. Pretty sure it sold.

His name is Tim Sechrest and he's the internet sales manager. His number is (214)497-9492.

Marcus
        '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

I really do like my '07 Fusion. But of those choices you gave, the Acura is good and the Mazda, too. Acura will be a little more pricey. I also looked for an IS 300 when I bought my Fusion, but couldn't find one with a stick at a good price. Still love the looks of those.
          sigpic
          Old Fords Rule

Comment

Originally posted by 2cammer97 View Post
            My dad has worked for David McDavid Acura in Plano for 15+years in used cars. Feel free to call him and tell him to keep his eye out for a clean low mileage TL in your price range. I know they got one in a few weeks ago. It was a one owner '99 TL with 75k miles and I think they were trying to get like $8k for it. Pretty sure it sold.

His name is Tim Sechrest and he's the internet sales manager. His number is (214)497-9492.

Marcus
            One thing to keep in mind about those earlier TLs, the 5 speed auto tranny in those cars are time bombs. It's not a question of if it will fail but when. Honda/Acura did extend the warranty to 100k I believe, but the problem still remains.
            2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
              Not sure exactly, it was a buddies car. Had less than 60k on it and had 2 transmissions and an engine installed at McKinney Mazda. Only time I ever saw an aftermarket warranty pay of. Something in the engine compartment lit off, melted the carbon fiber hood it had, burnt most all the top of the engine(plastic and aluminum), melted the lower part of the windshield and a little of the dash. The fire department got there pretty quick and did a nice job putting it out. He called his insurance company and told them their car caught on fire.
              Sounds like your buddy is a ricer and was dogging / modding the shit out of it. Let me guess, custom stereo to go with the CF hood and rimzzz?
              When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by txsr20de View Post
                One thing to keep in mind about those earlier TLs, the 5 speed auto tranny in those cars are time bombs. It's not a question of if it will fail but when. Honda/Acura did extend the warranty to 100k I believe, but the problem still remains.
                There were some issues with them. My bro-in-law has an '02 and his tranny died at 110K miles. My other bro-in-law has a '99 that had 170k with no troubles. I have a close friend that has a '97 with 230k miles and no trouble with his either. It's hit or miss like most cars out there. All in all, they are solid cars.

Marcus
                '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L

Comment

I suppose I should have been more specific, but as far as Acura TL's go, I'm really looking for 04+.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                    Really? I have two in the family at this minute. One with 168K (2005 V6) and one with 160K (1998 V6). Other than a bulletin back in '03 (the first year for the 5 speed auto) for an oiling mod in the tranny, I'm not aware of issues. Other than brakes and tires, I haven't touched either car.
                    Randy,

I know the 2001's had a recall/fix on the tranny if it went out before 100K, mine died at 119K

That said I am considering getting another one as a daily.

Comment

Blake, why don't you just call Chris (pro88lx), and let him put you in some cars to test drive?
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                        Blake, why don't you just call Chris (pro88lx), and let him put you in some cars to test drive?
                        That's probably the best advice in this thread. Driving a few might seal the deal for me.

Comment

Acura TL.

Comment

The only problem I have with the TL is they are a dime a dozen, just like the g35. Not saying they aren't nice though. I would get an altima se-r or a marauder.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzeran View Post
                              The only problem I have with the TL is they are a dime a dozen, just like the g35. Not saying they aren't nice though. I would get an altima se-r or a marauder.
                              I just can't get over how boring the Altima looks. The Marauder is just too damn big and too damn thirsty. I want something nimble and quick-ish, not a straight line boat with cubic inches.

Comment

The gen TL you are looking at are dope, the new ones and new Acuras in general are butt ass ugly. They need to fire their designers.

Comment

Working...
                                X