can someone explain what a 29er is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone explain what a 29er is?

My daughter just learned to ride her bike so Im looking for one to purchase now to ride with her around the neighborhood and local dirt trails. I keep seeing "29er" in a lot of craigslist ads- what does this signify exactly?

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
    My daughter just learned to ride her bike so Im looking for one to purchase now to ride with her around the neighborhood and local dirt trails. I keep seeing "29er" in a lot of craigslist ads- what does this signify exactly?
    29" frame
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

oh ok gotcha. So someone like myself that is 6'1", is this the kind of frame I should be looking for?

Comment

here is the one Ive found that I really like, but looks like it is on back order:

Comment

A 29er is the size of the tires.

Comment

It's a mountain bike that uses larger diameter rims 29" rather than 26".

Comment

He said the same thing I said, which is correct.

Comment

lol, looks like I was wrong. Whoops.
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

so how is this as far as value/price:

Kona Smoke 29er - $300 (Frisco)
                  Date: 2011-05-26, 11:19AM CDT
                  Reply to: sale-erqc3-2403897871@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
                  This is a 2008 model that Kona sold a couple years ago as a city/asphault bike but used a MTB frame. I originally bought this for commuting to work but then I moved really far from my job. So I sold the fenders, took off the slicks, and threw on some 29" mtb tires to experience the 29er craze. Other than new tires, nothing else has been changed on it. It has a nice steel frame and rigid fork. Has pretty low-end components but the thing is a beast. It does not have disc brake tabs so you'll have to run a v-brake in the back or figure out another way to mount disc brake on the frame. It got me started into the 29er world and now I'm switching to a Kona Unit which has about the same geometry. Can't find the 2008 archived anywhere but here's a link to the specs for the 2009 model.

It's in great condition but has a few cosmetic scratches and dings. Nothing drastic though. I'll also include the original Continental slick tires that probably have 500 miles on them. So whether you're looking for a commuter or a cheap 29er, this should fit the bill nicely. It's an 18" frame but feels more like a 17" to me. I am 5'8" it feels great to me.

Asking $300 OBO

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    29" frame
                    Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                    A 29er is the size of the tires.

Wheels.

29" wheels.

Comment

It's okay. I have two Specialized 29er's in my garage.

Comment

Comment

40 short of a good time?
                          all seriousness. i have a trek 3 series with disc front suspinsion and clips, had it 6 months, due to my injury that won't get better i may cut u a bad ass deal
                          first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                            40 short of a good time?
                            all seriousness. i have a trek 3 series with disc front suspinsion and clips, had it 6 months, due to my injury that won't get better i may cut u a bad ass deal
                            cut me a deal, im ready!

Comment

Discover the fun of riding with our wide range of electric, mountain, road, city, gravel, kids', and certified pre-owned bikes. Shop online or in-store!

i have eggbeaters on it and the specialized shoes, the tits are still on the knobbies i mean i rode it literally 2 miles and it's sitting... also have a unicycle for cheap
                              first class white trash

Comment

Working...
                              X