IT rants!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT rants!

What in IT pisses you off? I'm not talking about how mgmt never understands and puts unrealistic demands or doesn't listen to reason. And we all know on-call sucks.

For instance, why is it so damn hard for a sysadmin for a server to know how to check his routes and add a return route when necessary? Geez some of these people have been told countless times to check this, how to add it, etc yet every time they act like it was something new and they point fingers at every thing else without ever having checked their own shit. I usually have to demand to see the netstat to show them what is wrong even when they claim they already checked. Escalating to their mgmt does no good since they think they do no wrong. So much time wasted with this BS. Anyone deal with similar?

rant off!

I hate all these conference calls.

How the fuck am I suppose to get 8+ hours of work in the day while I have 5 hours of conference calls a day?

Comment

How I have never worked at a place with a decent IT deptartment. Lazy asses usually.
      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Most of what gets under my skin is the expecations of clients and users to go a foot with an inch of resources.

No, I cannot base your network around a $300 computer you bought from PCMall and have it perform all the functions to support 150 users. Heres a quote, call me when you get out of Imaginationland.

Comment

We have a hardware team that goes far and out of their way to push back on everything, make excuses about lack of resources, want 5 day lead times for something as simple as looking at a device to verify power and link lights, and want to charge insane expedite fees for anything less than the 5 day lead time. They will get a ticket and sit on it for 4 days, see some BS technicality on the ticket and close and tell you its your fault you forgot to answer a certain question. Then they tell you if you still needed it, you would now have to pay the expedite. That's extortion! I would be a lot more sympathetic if I didn't know the father of one of the guys and he bragged to his Dad how they sit around and play games and relax most of the time until the work just has to be done.

Comment

Our, "Information Services," manager is technically the team lead for all the IS guys in the field, but all he really does is manage our desktops and a small server room. Our biggest problem is he'll try to fuck us and not let us procure things without going through him, and reprograms the RFID reader on the server room door so only he has access when it suits him. If our elec-techs or PLC techs need in there at 3am, he damn sure won't be up there to let them in. If I need a keyboard, a mouse, or a monitor at 3am, I'm taking my procurement card to walmart, and getting my boss to sign off on it. The other thing is, he has no initiative. My computer could be on fire, and he'd tell me to call the help desk and submit a ticket. He's literally like the workmen from the movie Brazil.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I was helping on a project for an un-named entity near Houston last month, and the guy who was supposed to be in charge of desktop support/SCCM/imaging had no idea what sysprep was. That kind of shit pisses me off, when you know someone is getting paid more than you and you clearly know more than them and have to train them on how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                .... That kind of shit pisses me off, when you know someone is getting paid more than you and you clearly know more than them and have to train them on how to do it.
                X2!

Comment

G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    He's literally like the workmen from the movie Brazil.
                    That looks like one strange movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      Funny shit. Every time I help a friend with a problem I always walk out, then poke my head back in the doorway and say, "Oh, by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        That looks like one strange movie.

That movie is EXCELLENT!
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                          That movie is EXCELLENT!
                          Kinda has an A Clockwork Orange feel to it.
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                            Kinda has an A Clockwork Orange feel to it.
                            Very much so. Very Kubrick-esque.

Comment

All is well around my IT employer. I do wish we were not stretched so thin but hey that is job security.

The customer is usually the ones pissing me off.

Comment

Working...
                              X