Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    X2!
    Man, we did a Novell/Groupwise to Microsoft Server and Outlook migration for these people, and our migration tool failed halfway through because their IT people, after being told not to touch anything, started dicking with stuff. I.E.: They turned windows updates on right before the migration kicked off, and it started automatically rebooting computers in the middle of the migration, they were stopping scripts that were running because they "didn't realize what the scripts were doing," and just all kinds of general jackassery that anyone who knows ANYTHING about what their job descriptions were knew they shouldn't have been doing that stuff (not to mention we expressly told them not to). Not to mention their links were so slow that when the migration tool tried to push out updates it was timing out. FML.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      What in IT pisses you off? I'm not talking about how mgmt never understands and puts unrealistic demands or doesn't listen to reason. And we all know on-call sucks.

For instance, why is it so damn hard for a sysadmin for a server to know how to check his routes and add a return route when necessary? Geez some of these people have been told countless times to check this, how to add it, etc yet every time they act like it was something new and they point fingers at every thing else without ever having checked their own shit. I usually have to demand to see the netstat to show them what is wrong even when they claim they already checked. Escalating to their mgmt does no good since they think they do no wrong. So much time wasted with this BS. Anyone deal with similar?

rant off!
      Sounds like you need to fix your broken routing tables on your devices

A lot of times Server admins handle hundreds of servers and people come and go, while predecessors leave horrible information. When I came to Dell I took over 300+ servers with another guy, and the two previous guys who worked in our department left to another department, and acted like they had no information on any of the servers they used to support. It was pretty rough the first 6 months collecting information needed to access those 300 systems, what they did, recreate build docs, etc. Luckily my manager used to do my job, so there was still someone to go to for some information, but a lot of his info is 5 years old.

So as far as adding static routes on boxes that had to be rebuilt or replaced could definately get missed, and is pretty easy for the network team to ask us to do some tracerts to determine what needs to be added.

Comment

I fucking hate getting calls on my cellphone. Its always something fucking stupid, printer stopped printing, my password is bad etc.

but when serious shit happens, ie phones don't work or email server is down, no calls.
        2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

My frustration comes from dealing with idiots at our customer's help desks. Last week I had a guy telling me that he was able to ping the uninstalled gateway that was sitting there unplugged.
          Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 05-25-2011, 02:43 PM. Reason: forgot how to type

Comment

My frustration comes when the IT department won't answer the damn phone...

Comment

i have to deal with NMCI.
              /thread
              2011 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                Kinda has an A Clockwork Orange feel to it.
                Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                Very much so. Very Kubrick-esque.
                It's Terry Gilliam, so it's not quite the same. Think of it as his only really dark turn. Other than that, it's Baron Von Munchausen and Time Bandits and Monty Python.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Comment

You know what I hate, when we turn up a UCS cluster and when there is a new guy configuring the ToR switch or fabric switch. It always make those calls go extra long.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                      You know what I hate, when we turn up a UCS cluster and when there is a new guy configuring the ToR switch or fabric switch. It always make those calls go extra long.
                      That's easy stuff man! Just send them the config text and make the copy/paste. Done. Or webex/meetingplace and make him/her feel less useful.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Unless you are in my contacts, I don't answr my cell phone. You can either leave a message or send a text, but either way if i don't have you in my contacts you aren't important enough to be able to interrupt my day.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          That's easy stuff man! Just send them the config text and make the copy/paste. Done. Or webex/meetingplace and make him/her feel less useful.
                          Dude that's what they're doing! Copy/Pasting from a script, but when its a new guy doing it they go over every single command in detail. For the most part anytime we deploy something its followed by a webex meeting for infrastructure/redundancy testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                            It's Terry Gilliam, so it's not quite the same. Think of it as his only really dark turn. Other than that, it's Baron Von Munchausen and Time Bandits and Monty Python.
                            I know it's Mr. Gilliam. Hence the "Kubrick-esque" comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                              I hate all these conference calls.

How the fuck am I suppose to get 8+ hours of work in the day while I have 5 hours of conference calls a day?
                              !!!!
                              70' Chevelle RagTop
                              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                                Dude that's what they're doing! Copy/Pasting from a script, but when its a new guy doing it they go over every single command in detail. For the most part anytime we deploy something its followed by a webex meeting for infrastructure/redundancy testing.
                                I'd hang myself then.
                                Originally posted by MR EDD
                                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                                X