Can you overdress for an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you overdress for an interview?

I applied for a job that I really want and If I get an interview Im wondering how well I should dress. Iv always wore some nice slacks, button up shirt, and dress shoes to my interviews. Im excited about this job so Im wondering if wearing a tie and coat would be too much and look like Im trying to hard? Iv always heard "dress for success" but I have no experience in the hiring process.
    Thanks

Don't wear a tuxedo.

Comment

There's no such thing as overdressing for an interview, I have heard.
      How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Don't wear a tuxedo.
        Opt for a Tuxedo t shirt instead.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What is the job and environment? I am not dressing up for an interview at Target.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            What is the job and environment? I am not dressing up for an interview at Target.

That's easy. Red polo. "Look, you've got to give me this job. I already bought the shirt!!"

Comment

That's easy. Red polo. "Look, you've got to give me this job. I already bought the shirt!!"
              Shit, so thats why I didn't get the gig.

Comment

Wear a 3 wolf moon shirt. They'll make you the CEO!!!!!!!!
                Originally posted by Nash B.
                Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

always wear a tie to an interview, it shows that you actually care about getting the job

Originally posted by DOHCTR
                  You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked98Snake View Post
                    Wear a 3 wolf moon shirt. They'll make you the CEO!!!!!!!!

Just hope the Interviewer isn't wearing a 2 wolf shirt. He'll know you're after his job and probably going to make him look bad. Application relegated to the circular file..

Comment

You can overdress. I interviewed for an Electronics Tech job with an oilfield company and I wore the typical suit and tie. I was way overdressed when my interviewer walked in the room wearing Carharts. Needless to say I didn't get the job even though I was more than qualified for it.

Comment

It depends on the job you are applying for. If it is in a bar then wear jeans and a nice shirt. If it is for upper management wear slacks and a tie. If its for anything other than upper management, slacks and a dress shirt is reasonable. You don't want them to think you are overqualified depending on the job.
                        See you later...

Comment

Navy or gray suit (no stripes or pattern), white shirt and mild striped tie. black shoes and matching belt is standard interview attire.

Comment

"When can you start?"

"Right the fuck now!"

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                              I applied for a job that I really want and If I get an interview Im wondering how well I should dress. Iv always wore some nice slacks, button up shirt, and dress shoes to my interviews. Im excited about this job so Im wondering if wearing a tie and coat would be too much and look like Im trying to hard? Iv always heard "dress for success" but I have no experience in the hiring process.
                              Thanks
                              May I suggest something formal... perhaps evening wear?
                              Attached Files
                              Originally posted by Vertnut
                              I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X