LBJ Freeway expansion brings new headaches for drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBJ Freeway expansion brings new headaches for drivers

DALLAS — Already one of the most congested routes in the nation, driving on LBJ Freeway is about to get even worse as part of a $2 billion makeover, which started on Sunday.

It won't be finished for five years..

Seventeen miles of freeway along Interstate 635 and I-35E will be rebuilt at a cost of $2 billion. Step one focuses on LBJ's HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes.

Workers shut down five miles of HOV lanes on LBJ between Midway Road and Luna Road on Sunday. That move could drastically alter your morning commute.

The Gonzales family commutes to over the freeway on a pedestrian bridge connecting their neighborhood on one side to an elementary school on the other.

"We're on that bridge every day," said Vincent Gonzales.

But that bridge will soon come down as part of the reconstruction project.

"That's a big inconvenience," Gonzales said. "Now it means I'm going to have to be traveling more time around ... the highway construction."

It is one of many headaches that leaders of the highway project acknowledge will be ahead for motorists and pedestrians.

Starting Monday morning, chunks of the HOV carpool lanes — the region's busiest — will be closed forever.

They will eventually be replaced with a six-lane toll tunnel and eight free lanes above.
    The project doubles LBJ's car capacity between I-35E and North Central Expressway.

"Tomorrow is one of the most important aspects of this project, because it really sets off the first real construction people going to see and experience along the LBJ project," said Andy Rittler, spokesman for what's known as LBJ Express.

With the HOV lanes shut down, workers will — in the the coming weeks — begin dismantling and rebuilding the many bridges crossing the freeway.

The pedestrian connection used by the Gonzales family should re-open by the fall, but directors of the project warn there will be more closures and delays affecting drivers and homeowners.

"We anticipate there is going to be some headaches, but at the end of five years, drivers are going to have a brand-new highway and one that is safer and state-of-the-art," Rittler promised.

Over the next five years, crews will be working to make it as easy as possible for drivers to get to businesses along LBJ.

Now that the HOV lanes are closed, contractors promise that no other lanes on Interstate 635 will ever be closed during rush hour.

It'll be finished quicker than 5 years if the zombies have anything to say about it.

Comment

Great more traffic for my daily commute....

Comment

I'm glad that I rarely ever drive on 635. That highway is always a disaster for traffic, I can't imagine how bad it's going to get with all this construction that is going to take place.

Comment

Big fucking deal, HOV lanes are a fad that don't do jack shit. I drove the road this morning and there was no difference in the amount of congestion.

In fact, I have driven 635 from Hillcrest to 161 for the past seven years in the morning and spending $2 billion on it is a complete waste of resources. The day the project is finished it will still be congested, that is because wrecks cause the congestion.
          Originally posted by racrguy
          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

the world ends saturday, what a waste of time!!!!!!!!!!

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Why the fuck don't they finish one project before starting another. That way you have options.

Finish Bush and 121/114 then worry about this shit. Isn't there something going on on IH30 in the canyon as well?
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                Big fucking deal, HOV lanes are a fad that don't do jack shit. I drove the road this morning and there was no difference in the amount of congestion.

In fact, I have driven 635 from Hillcrest to 161 for the past seven years in the morning and spending $2 billion on it is a complete waste of resources. The day the project is finished it will still be congested, that is because wrecks cause the congestion.
                Maybe we all just need to drive bumper cars?

Comment

I drive from Mockingbird & 75 to Midway & 635 Mon-Fri 8:30-5:30 and it already sucks ass.... Can't wait to see how long my daily commute is going to be once all of this gets started.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                    I drive from Mockingbird & 75 to Midway & 635 Mon-Fri 8:30-5:30 and it already sucks ass.... Can't wait to see how long my daily commute is going to be once all of this gets started.
                    Sounds like you need to take mockingbird to harry hines now.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                      the world ends saturday, what a waste of time!!!!!!!!!!

god bless.
                      Shit. I forgot that was coming up. I guess now is as good as any time to start the party of blow and hookers!

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                        Sounds like you need to take mockingbird to harry hines now.
                        Maybe you can pick up a hooker on the way to the office.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by papapepper View Post
                          I go Caruth Haven & 75 to Midway & 635 for work. In the mornings I take 75, Exit Forest, and take Forest all the way to Midway. It may take a few minutes more but the travel time is always consistent. I would end up being 30 minutes late if there was a wreck on 635.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            Maybe you can pick up a hooker on the way to the office.
                            Just something to pass the time while driving...

Comment

They need to take all the people from all the construction jobs going on in the metroplex and have them all work one project at a time. Let them run 3 8hr shifts till it's done then move onto the next one, 14 projects going on at once is bullshit.
                              Originally posted by Nash B.
                              Damn, man. Sorry to hear that. If it'll cheer you up, Geor swallows. And even if it doesn't cheer you up, it cheers him up.

Comment

Working...
                              X