Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does a title/registration go by the body or frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does a title/registration go by the body or frame?

If you put an antique body/cab on a late model frame, what is it considered?
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Vin\
    2012 f150 lariat
    2004 ford lightning
    2008 chevy duramax 4x4
    2008 dodge mega cab 4x4
    2008 f150 lariat 4x4

Comment

I would say it's much easier to title it as the body/cab vs. the frame. And more desirable due to age.
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
        I would say it's much easier to title it as the body/cab vs. the frame. And more desirable due to age.
        This is what I'll be doing.

A 72 body on an 04 frame. All most people will care about is the VIN tag on the door pillar or dash.
        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by midniteblue5.0 View Post
          Vin\
          All is see is orange booty..

Comment

In your case you use the Cab VIN. I've been there. But in Texas, you can use the VIN from the body, frame or engine in some cases. If you were assembling a 'kitcar' that used a VW pan, it would be titled as a VW.

Comment

That's what I figured. Might be easier to insure, since a classic policy is generally agreed value.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Do you have the title for the cab?

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                  Do you have the title for the cab?
                  Technically I don't have the cab or chassis yet, but the cab I have my eye on has a title.

Comment

I would just title it as the older vehicle but there is a procedure the state wants done when building a truck like the one you have in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by thesource View Post
                      I would just title it as the older vehicle but there is a procedure the state wants done when building a truck like the one you have in mind.
                      Such as??
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                        Such as??
                        I don't know for sure but I can imagine it would fall somewhere under 'rebuilt' or 'home-built' and may require some sort of inspection. But that may open it up to make you title it as a 'year built.' ie 2011 and have to meet today's standards.

I personally wouldn't mention it. Register it as the old cab.

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                          I don't know for sure but I can imagine it would fall somewhere under 'rebuilt' or 'home-built' and may require some sort of inspection. But that may open it up to make you title it as a 'year built.' ie 2011 and have to meet today's standards.

I personally wouldn't mention it. Register it as the old cab.
                          I haven't read up on the whole process in a couple years, but you have to document the parts used in the build, and I think they issue an assembled vehicle certificate and assign it a VIN.

I won't be doing that.

Comment

trust me, even if the cab doesn't come with a title, just do a bonded title on it... you definitely want it registered as an OLD vehicle
                            http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                            X