Do allergies make you imagine smells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
    It's called Phantosmia. It's caused from many thing, but most often it nothing serious. Many Migraine sufferers experience Phantosmia as part of the aura. It's also can be caused from Partial Lobe Epilepsy. And, yes, in some cases is can be caused by brain tumors. However, many people experience this condition and the cause is idiopathic. They'll have no history of head trauma. They'll have MRI/CAT scan with a Neuro consult and everything comes up negative. Etc.. Allergies can certainly be a potential cause. Anything that affects the olfactory system is a possibility, especially in cases of injury.

Some people get lucky and smell pleasant odors. A lot of folks smell putrid odors, like rotting flesh. Some people also describe it as burnt plastic. The most common Phantosmia complaint I've heard is smelling smoke. Some people will spend months cleaning and replacing all carpet, clothing, and linens to try and get rid of the smoke smell. It can be very disquieting for people who suffer it chronically. It usually ends up making people nauseous.
    Wow, yeah now that you mention it, there has been times I smell wood smoke or electrical fire and walking around the house nervous something is not right. I would smell a perfume or cologne that wasnt me or anyone around. I never really gave all of this much thought. My wife thinks its funny until I walk in the kitchen when she's cooking and ask if she is frying up dog turds.

Comment

Working...
    X