Biggest waste of money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest waste of money

Textbooks. Damn things depreciate like no other. I have $1000 worth of books from school that Im lucky to get $200 for from Amazon. Half the crap Im trading in are still wrapped in plastic. Almost would rather burn them this winter for kindling

I always buy used whenever I can. If I have to go new, I try to get them online rather than in the bookstore. It's frustrating as fuck.
    One year, I dropped almost $300 for my (used) A&P 1 set that was supposed to get me through A&P 1 and 2. The very next semester, I had to drop another $400 for the brand new book set that was a different author, rather than a revision of the old one. It's bullshit.

Comment

I rent mine online from cheggs for 75% cheaper.

Comment

It's a racket and they love every minute of it.

Comment

Clerk: "Yes sir that chemistry book today will be $250. Please remember you can sell it back at the end of the semester for $25. That way we can resell the same book next semester for another $250 to the next smuck that comes in...have a good day."
          sigpic

Comment

I've had pretty good luck. I typically bought used for about 2/3 of the new price, and they bought them back for just slightly under that at the bookstore. Now on Amazon, I could typically buy them used for less than the college paid me in buy back. IF they didn't punk out and change books.

Comment

Textbooks are the biggest scam on college. Everyone talks about the hugely increasing prices of a college education but the politicians never give a second of attention to the textbook scam that state run colleges continue every semester. They could end all of this shit tomorrow and make books dirt cheap if they really wanted to.

Comment

The greatest thing is having to buy books for a class that are written by the professor. Nothing like consistent sales.

My rented book for this semester were approximately $700 including software and remote clickers for in class participation.

Comment

I rarely buy/bought textbooks. Depends on the class but you can get by without a textbook in most classes. If not I got it at the library or a PDF online, unless I absolutely needed a hard copy.

Comment

I always hated the text book bs in college. Every now and then I had a cool professor that would tell us to just get the old edition, which those were usually about $10 online. I loved seeing the looks on the overly organized peoples faces who had already bought their books before the first day of class.

Comment

Doesn't really bother me, it all comes back in taxes the next year.

Comment

My wife gets her Textbooks on bookbyte.com and we rarely find them any cheaper elsewhere.

Comment

To buy: find friends who have previously taken the class, or use ebay, half.com, amazon, etc

To sell: use ebay or half.com and make sure you sell right before the semester starts.
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

if you think thats expensive, try being dumb.

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Buy the international editions. It's the same content for a fraction of the price. High textbook prices are an American phenomenon.

Comment

Working...
                              X