No announcement yet.

Ultimate Roadtrip: booked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if they had what I would consider a "main attraction," but they had a shitload of badass exotics on the second floor. I fell in love with about 10 cars. That Ferrari race car is one of the baddest machines I've seen in my entire life. Pure business, yet sexy beyond belief. I would have given my other kidney to hear it fire up.

Comment

• Great write up. Looks like the trip was a blast. I live in Las Vegas right now and have done everything on your trip. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. One thing i haven't done is spend alot of time in LA. I need to do that someday.

Death Valley is awesome to me. Next time, try to drive up Zabriskie point. Its about 5500 up in elevation and gives you a spectacular view of DV. About 20 degrees cooler up there also.

I swear i think i stayed in that hotel one time in San Fran. God it looks familiar. It wasnt far from the GGB if i remember right?

I lived in SLC for awhile so i have been all over the Bonneville salt flats. You can get rooms all day long during the week in Wendover for about $40 and go explore. They are real generous in comping rooms also unlike Vegas. Did you stop at the Great Salt Lake and smell around?

Also, where was that little Burro bar located? I've been up and down all the highways in Nevada. One of my favorite towns is Ely and the whole Great Basin National Park area. I love living in this part of the world.

Great trip report!

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky View Post
        I swear i think i stayed in that hotel one time in San Fran. God it looks familiar. It wasnt far from the GGB if i remember right?
        It's pretty far from there. It's walking distance from Fisherman's Wharf.
        I lived in SLC for awhile so i have been all over the Bonneville salt flats. You can get rooms all day long during the week in Wendover for about $40 and go explore. They are real generous in comping rooms also unlike Vegas. Did you stop at the Great Salt Lake and smell around?
        Dude, you nailed it. That fucking lake STINKS.
        Also, where was that little Burro bar located?
        Beatty, NV.
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

• Great pics, great trip and great narration!
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
          George Orwell

Comment

• Badass.

Love this one. Tahoe is pretty amazing any time of year. It's also where we got engaged.

This is a good one. I'm thinking about doing a 7 day hike rim-to-rim in the Grand Canyon, maybe as soon as next summer. I've never been and I can't wait.

I'm jealous of Bonneville stop and VERY jealous of the AFB hangar pics.

I have to have this.

And nice Chaparral! That 2E was one of Phill Hill's cars. I have a pic of me with it at the Chaparral Museum.

Comment

• Originally posted by MattB View Post
              Z06 vert = Grand Sport. Has all the same shit, except 6.2 vs 7 liter...
              Correct, Grand Sport, not a Z06.

Incorrect as same shit. The only thing they share are bodypanels and the dry sump, different motor, trans, rear and they have a steel frame versus an aluminum in a Z06.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Fly in to Los Angeles Sept 10th. Go to Hertz Counter. Pick up a 2012 Mustang GT. Proceed up the Pacific Coast Highway to San Francisco. Tour various filming locations of Bullitt, cross Golden Gate, etc. Proceed to Reno, Nevada. Lose some money. Drive across Nevada on Route 50, also known as the Loneliest Road in America. Many scenes from Vanishing Point were shot here. Top Gear BBC drove a Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette ZR1, and Dodge Challenger SRT across this stretch of emptiness in season 12, episode 2. Arrive in West Wendover, and proceed to the Bonneville Saltflats World of Speed races. Head south, to Arizona. See the Meteor crater outside Winslow, then head to The Grand Canyon. Proceed over the new bridge above the Hoover Dam and through Vegas to The Extraterrestrial Highway along side Area 51, and find The Black Mailbox. Get chased off by Men in Black. Back through Southern California and arrive at LAX to depart 9 days and roughly 2500 miles later. THIS IS GOING TO BE FUCKING AWESOME.
                It's funny, but the only things we didn't do were lose money in Reno (we both won) and drive the 2500 miles (we underestimated by 1100 miles).

Fuck, that was awesome.

Comment

• Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  It's funny, but the only things we didn't do were lose money in Reno (we both won) and drive the 2500 miles (we underestimated by 1100 miles).

Fuck, that was awesome.

And we didn't get chased off by Men In Black. I was really hoping we'd get yelled at at that gatehouse! I would have been thrilled! lolz

Comment

• Just noticed these photobucket links were broken. Pics below.

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                    Day Nine: Back to Texas. We both had afternoon flights, so we wanted to see a few things before jetting. Did Capitol Records, the Star Walk of Fame, Mulholland Drive, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and then got some breakfast at Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles. Holy hell, that was good food. Last but not least we hit the Pederson Automotive Museum, a legend in SoCal. Then it was back to LAX, and flights home. I’ve never been so tired and had so much fun in my life.

Comment

• Cont'd.

Originally posted by talisman View Post

Goodbye little Mustang. You were very good to us, despite everything we did to you. I've got your VIN number. I'll be checking on you periodically.

The End

Comment

• Thanks Danny. When are we doing Europe the same way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Victorious
                          Badass! Can't wait to see the pics! Especially if you can stop or walk ON the new bridge over the Hoover Dam. Any Area 51/extraterrestrial site pics would be way cool, too. Sept will be a perfect time for this trip! Congrats!
                          There is an observation spot on the new bridge but you cannot stop on the bridge. The walls are pretty high anyways, so if you are in a car, you cannot see anything. You have to park down on the old road that leads to the dam and then walk up to the observation area.

Comment

• Here you can see the observation area on google maps:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Well, my dumbass just saw the first post and missed, not only page #11, but also the date. Doh! Thought he was taking another trip. He has more pics than I can keep up with. haha
                              I no longer shift gears - I switch beers. Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Victorious View Post
                                Well, my dumbass just saw the first post and missed, not only page #11, but also the date. Doh! Thought he was taking another trip. He has more pics than I can keep up with. haha
                                Haha. Yeah, I would say look at his FB, but he only uploads like 2 pics a month from past trips, so he can drag them out for years.

Comment

Working...
                                X